Need some help...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CTyankee1

Reaction score
I’ve been digging in my yard recently, in a spot I believe to be a bottle dump…the house dates back to around the late 1800’s...I’ve only been digging with a small spade at a depth of less than 1 foot. I have expanded the hole to about 6 feet in diameter and am still hitting bottles,metal, etc.….All the land around the general area is flat and I’m wondering if it was normal for folks back then to just pick a spot and start chucking bottles and crap there, or if it could be a possible outhouse site, the area I am digging is only about 30 feet from a dug well and about 60 feet from the house and some of my finds inches below the surface are dating to the early 1900's. Before I dig up the whole yard I'd like to try an isolate an area and determine if there is indeed an outhouse site.. I’ve noticed some changes in the soil in parts of the hole, but think they may just be the remains of some of the containers contents…but I’m not sure what I should be looking for, or how deep I have to dig, to verify it. Any help would be appreciated.. thanks..

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Ron, Welcome to the forum. Are you a bottle collector or is this the first time?

You need something to probe with. A long thin shanked screw driver will work or you can build or buy a probe. A probe is a 4ft or longer spring steel rod with a tee handle welded on one end and a ball bearing on the other. With a probe you can determine where the ecges of the dump are and where the privy is.

If this is a first for you I must warn you that it is very, very addictive and you will fill every empty space in your home with dug things.[:D]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Welcome, it's hard to visualise but a couple thoughts.
All the land around the general area is flat
Then it must have been low before filling it in.
expanded the hole to about 6 feet in diameter
This seems a bit wide for a privy if your still finding surface stuff.
You need something to probe with
I agree, try to find the edges.

Some pictures of the land and descriptions of other houses nearby might help.
Good luck. 1900 on top means older below in most cases.

Reaction score
Hi Yankee,
Here in the "Wild West" of Colorado, it was very common for people to use a pit of sorts for their un-burnable items. I have one here at my house, and it sounds a lot like yours. I am very new to digging, and CAPSODA is right...it is very addictive! I've been at this for only a month, and have already converted an old shed to hold my finds! This old farm dates back to the Homestead granted by President Wilson, with me being the 3rd owner. I found an old truck in my pit! (among other things). Definately get a probe. I dipped mine in that rubber type, tool handle, dip stuff. I was too afraid to break anything. Good luck and Happy Digging!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen