Need some tips about digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bend94

Reaction score
So I've been going to this dump for probably around ten years or so finding bottles and jars, im only 20 now by the way so i've never really done it seriously, used to just be find the ones with words on them to keep and throw the busted ones at rocks. I've got a decent little collection of bottles that my Grandfather passed down to me but I'd love to get more serious about it and i actually want to start digging up something worth my time. The dump is located in upstate NY on the side of a steep hill with its base in a creek when the water levels at its highest and maybe 25 ft of flat land when its low. I don't know the history of the dump at all, but its in an area in close proximity to multiple early 1800 cobblestone houses. Prior to this year i had only picked up bottles that were already visible or just under leaves, but today i went and dug for the first time, maybe a 3ftx3ft area and i got down to maybe 8 inches deep (its hard to say exactly since im digging on the steep hill and its all at an angle). Ill post a picture of a few ok things i pulled out today, but i really need help being able to identify what to keep and what to toss, because today i just brought back anything in good shape and i ended up with a bunch of stuff that i know probably wasnt worth taking. Also if anyone can give me a time frame on the dump that would be cool, ive barely broken the surface of it though so i dont know how reflective my items will be on the age of the dump, but ill post pictures of what else i got there if anyone thinks it would be helpful. Thanks!
PS i know vicks isnt that great of a find, but i like the cobalt at least, and i havent seen a va tra nol bottle before, i even got the little glass eye dropper thing :) .

C0DF592A10564F07998D473283C2BDF6.jpg

Attachments

• C0DF592A10564F07998D473283C2BDF6.jpg
    C0DF592A10564F07998D473283C2BDF6.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 79

bend94

Reaction score
Also if anyone can tell me how to go about finding new places to dig, that would be ideal!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm thinking 50's or 60's but maybe someone can ID the hubcap year.
That small a section and depth doesn't give a hint to what may be nearby or deeper though. Hillsides can be extensive.
Good luck and keep going is all I can say.

RCO

Reaction score
i've found that same watkins bottle a couple times in the last year or so , its usually found in dumps from late 30's-40's era . i don't find it in dumps from 50's or newer . however watkins has been around for a number of years so there bottles aren't really that hard to find and could of been used for a number of different years

sunrunner

Reaction score
to find good bottles first you have to have an interest in them. read some history on glass making.study up on bottle collecting,andgo to the library and look for old bottlers and brewers of beer in your town. If you focus on one type of bottle it well make it easy to gane an interest.

mr.fred

Reaction score
If your digging on a Steep hill----start at the bottom and work your way up!.You can dig foot holds and toss the dirt well away from you. Go DEEP !!!. Your bound to find some older ones. Welcome to the forum[:)] Where are you from in Upstate New York?? ~~Fred

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Ben,

Welcome to the A-BN & thanks for showing us your finds. Vicks Va-Tro-Nol started in 1931.

"Despite the stock market crash of 1929 and the economic chaos that followed, Vick Chemical Company continued to do well. People still caught colds, depression or no depression. In 1931, Va tro nol Nosedrops and Vicks Cough Drops were introduced. Both were almost instantly successful." From.

110699838655-e1343919572251.jpeg

bend94

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips i might go back out there today or tomorrow. And live in rochester.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearybottlebaby1776