new additions...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pchan

Reaction score
May I bore youse once again? Found these at an antiques sale that happens every 4th Sunday of the month not too far from where we live.....until today, my collection had cost me nothing but today I found these, liked the colors so I added them......first one...

no seams, might have a pontil, might not, quite a few bubbles...

IMG_9886_zpsdbecdcc6.jpg

IMG_9888_zps80e40cde.jpg

base.....

IMG_9882_zpsbbb0460d.jpg

pchan

Reaction score
second bottle....I thought it had a crack where the neck joins the body but it isn`t, not sure what happened, but it`s not cracked.....and you can see a dent on the right side of the body....

IMG_9897_zps9e0076a9.jpg

not very clear, very overcast today...

IMG_9891_zps1eb96a3d.jpg

bottom.....

IMG_9898_zps0833665c.jpg

pchan

Reaction score
third bottle....theres a name for these I just can`t remember it right now.....it has a small marble inside the neck, they still make em today, kids drink this stuff. The bottle is really thick and heavy, lots of bubbles and nicely embossed, I`ll get my wife to read it later.

IMG_9916_zpsd8229a64.jpg

IMG_9913_zps0c932015.jpg

IMG_9911_zps7fe46040.jpg

IMG_9927_zpsd7e83d1f.jpg

pchan

Reaction score
last one is a jar....has a patent number and I`m not sure what it was used for, has something in the top I`ve never seen before....I like milk glass and it`s unusual so I took it....

IMG_9933_zps9156e0b2.jpg

IMG_9931_zpsb4c0c236.jpg

IMG_9936_zpsec45fc1b.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
You have a nice way of presenting your bottles, 3rd one is a Codd and the last looks like an inkwell... Nice stuff

ScottBSA

Reaction score
I like the Chinese Codd bottle and the inkwell. Nice gets.

Scott

pchan

Reaction score
I asked my wife last night when she got home, they call those Codd bottles "Ramune" here...I had found the history of them on line but couldn`t find the Japanese name.

pchan

Reaction score
So members think the milk glass is an ink well, interesting....for what reason if I may ask? Is it the hole in the top? Looking at the insert with my loupe pictured above, it appears as the brown item..., it is full of small brushed....13 to a layer x 3 layers. There are 3 kanji on the outside of the bottle....the first is an old one that my wife can`t read because she says it isn`t used anymore....the other two she reads as ME KAI....or if read right to left like they used to do....KAI ME. I will see if my father in law can read it, he`s 83 and has a better grasp on old kanji. Think the brushes were used to drain excess ink off the pen nib as it was drawn out of the bottle in an attempt to avoid ink blots? Maybe thats why theres a patent number on the lid. I have about 15 other small milk glass jars, all have some markings on the bottom and I thought related to cosmetics....this one is marked on the side. Thanks for any help you can provide.

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Yes, I think it is an ink well, and after reading your later posts and now having a better idea of where you may live, I would think you are correct that the bristles on the inside of the container would be to straighten the bristles on an ink brush. My cultural references are small, but aren't Chinese and Japanese characters more drawn than written?

Scott

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause