New Atlanta Soda History

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dismithny

Reaction score
I just completed two new soda history books. Each is 64 pages of soda history and illustrations. Cost is $15 postpaid purchased through this forum. I take PayPal at books@kolawars.com or payments by mail at P O Box 1913, Buffalo, NY 14225.

Kola Wars:Atlanta
by Dennis Smith

For the first decade of the twentieth century more Coca-Cola was consumed in Atlanta than any other city. It was the city’s most famous product and made Atlanta known around the world in just a few years time.

But the citizens of Atlanta were drinking more than Coca-Cola - they were also drinking Afri-Kola and Koca-Nola, Celery=Cola and Capacola, Fan-Taz and Pep-To-Lac, Dope and Koke, Jit-A-Cola and Ko-Nut, Nova-Kola and Rye-Ola. In addition to Asa Candler’s Coca-Cola they were drinking Daniel’s Koko-Kolo, Venable’s Coca-Kola, and Standard Coca-Cola. Lee Hagan claimed to sell ten thousand drinks of his Red Rock Ginger Ale in Atlanta every day.

There were dozens of brand name and proprietary soft drinks sold in the city of Atlanta prior to 1920. Many of these drinks were local in origin yet advertised nationally. Afri-Kola was bottled as far west as Texas, Koca-Nola as far north as Pennsylvania, and Nova-Kola as far away as Illinois. Others found markets regionally in Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, and other nearby states.

Some of these beverages were intended to ride on the successful coattails of Coca-Cola and found themselves in court as a result. Whether selecting a similar name such as ‘Venable’s Coca-Kola’ or substituting their drink on calls for the original, these imitators found the Coca-Cola Company ready to protect its trademark and business.

Here is the story of Atlanta’s Kola Wars from the 1880s to 1920.

Afri Kola
Al-Cola
Aphro
Applemade
Arrow-Cola
Berrybounce
Big Ditch Root Beer
Big Stick Ginger Ale
Bludwine
Capa Cola
Capacola
Cascade Ginger Ale
Celery Coca
Celery=Cola
Ceylona
Chero Cola
Cheerysip
Cherry Dope
Cherry-May
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cream
Coca-Kola
Coca-Cream
Dixie
Dope
Fan-Taz
Ferri-Kola
Golden Girdle Root Beer
Golden Girdle Ginger Ale
Golden Girdle Birch Brew
Grapemist
Grape Dew
Green River
High Ball Chaser
Afri-Kola
Hop Ale
Jit-a-Cola
Kiola
Ko-Nut
Koca Nola
Koke
Kola-Ade
Kolo
Limeade
Lime-Cola
Mezzo
Misto
Moxie
National Ginger Ale
Nerve Pepsin
Nervola
Non Such
Nova-Kola
Orangette
Orange Rickey
Parfay
Peachnip
Peek’s Cola
Peppo-Phate
Pepsette
Pura Malta Cola
Pura Ginger Ale
Rainbow Ginger Ale
Red Rock Ginger Ale
Lemo-Lime
Roso
Rose-O
Rye-Ola
Smart E
Smile
Ulaca
Uncle Sam
Viva
Wineco
Wine-Coca
Wiseola
Yum-Yum
Zero-Cola

dismithny

Reaction score
New Birmingham Soda History

I just completed two new soda history books. Each is 64 pages of soda history and illustrations. Cost is $15 postpaid purchased through this forum. I take PayPal at books@kolawars.com or payments by mail at P O Box 1913, Buffalo, NY 14225.

Kola Wars:Birmingham
by Dennis Smith

In 1913, the residents of Birmingham drank more Coca-Cola than those in any city in the world. Crawford Johnson’s Birmingham Coca-Cola Bottling Company had a capacity of 40,000 bottles a day and surpassed even Atlanta in number of bottles sold. But the citizens of Birmingham were drinking more than Coca-Cola - they were also drinking Ala-Cola and Alpha, Cafa-Cola and Cola-Nip, Fan-Taz and Glee-Cola, My-Coca and Nifty-Cola, Pep-To-Lac and Pepsi-Cola, Rye-Ola and Wiseola.

No city in the country had the number of brand name and proprietary soft drinks that were produced in the city of Birmingham prior to 1920. Many of these drinks were local in origin yet advertised nationally. Rye-Ola was bottled in Oregon, My-Coca from Pennsylvania to California. Others found markets regionally in Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Mississippi and other nearby states.

Some of these beverages were intended to ride on the successful coattails of Coca-Cola and found themselves in court as a result. Whether selecting a similar name such as ‘Cola-Co’ or ‘Fletcher’s Coca-Cola,’ or using stolen bottles with the Coca-Cola trademark, these imitators found the Coca-Cola Company ready to protect its trademark and business.

Here is the story of Birmingham’s Kola Wars from the 1880s to 1920.

Ala-Cola
Alpha
Arola
Beerine
Bevo
Birmingham Cola Company
Bittermead
Bludwine
Blue Ridge Ginger Ale
Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale
C C Co
Cafa-Cola