New collector in central Ma, seeking partner

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Hey Wayne I got a question for ya. When I was in Hawaii there was a place on the beach where you could rent snorkeling gear AND scuba diving gear but in order to rent the scuba gear you had to be certified. The guy at the counter said that they have classes to get certifed and they only take 3 days, how is this possible? I thought they took weeks???

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Bryan...

Nice to hear from you. About your question...

A lot of the "Tourist" hot spots have abbreviated diving certification courses that will give you the most basic certification for scuba diving. These courses target visiters and vacationers and is a way for them (the dive shop) to make money. You will probably not get your "Open Water" certification card through these types of "familiarization" types of courses.

These courses are taught in warm water climates, vacation hot spots where there is plenty of terrific visibility, shallow water where you would only need the most basic of equipment. Like learning to dive in a big pool! Visibility is usually so good, the divemaster can see you for 80 to 150 feet! A lot of people would not get claustraphobic in this type of diving environment.

Different underwater environments demand different or "specialty" diving instruction. If you would take the 3 day "wonder" course to become certified because of how quick it is, and then try diving in rapid current, deep water or low/no visibility or cold water, you would be doing a great disservice to yourself.[:-] You simply wouldn't have the necessary training to safely, confidently dive in these more demanding conditions.

If you are serious about getting your certification, than it should be targeted to the diving environment you will most likely encounter. If you train and practice for colder water, lower visibility, digging in the mud, you will learn the techniques, use the equipment and safe diving practices associated with that type of diving. Then, after diving in the muck, cold water, 3 - 5 ft visibility, drysuits, 40 to 50 lbs of lead weight you will most assuredly appreciate the warm water, clear vis, colorful fish and coral when you do go on vacation to these warmer, vacation climates.[8D]

I would rather learn more, train more and not need it... than get the absolute minimum , basic training and not have the knowledge to get my butt out of trouble in some emergency. It may cost a little more and take longer, but you'll be better off in the long run and you'll enjoy the sport more. Hope I answered some of your questions.
Stay safe and have a great New Year![:)]

Wayne

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Wayne that definitely cleared some things up. I called my local YMCA about diving classes and they said they've done them in the past but they're aren't any as of right now but they said there could be in the near future. But I don't know if that means next week or next year.

I was reading when I was in Hawaii an instructor would take you on a dive to a WWII bomber that crashed in 1942. It sounded like a heck of a lot of fun but it was quite expensive and plus I didn't have 3 days to get the basic training as we left in 2 days. BUT I did do some snorkeling in Hanauma Bay which was AWESOME and I highly recommend doing it if anyone goes to the island of Oahu. Well anyway thanks again Wayne!

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Bryan...

I used to dive Haunama Bay regularly... I was stationed in Kaneohe for three years while I was in the Marine Corps... You talk about being in heaven!!! The big thing back then was collecting shells (1973-1975)[:-]

I dove a WWII US Corsair, fighter plane, that was shot down during the attack on Pearl Harbor. It was in about 90' of water, canopy was pulled back, joystick was still there as was the compass. You could even sit in the seat if you took your scuba tank off, prop was all bent up like it made an emergency water landing. The whole plane was intact... really cool. Great visibility over 100'... sure wish I could go back in time...[&o]

Capsoda... and yes, Warren, I was much thinner then and I could actually fit into the cockpit of a small WWII fighter plane! You had to pry me out afterwards, but I did manage to squeeze into it...[:D]

I think the plane was off of Nanakuli beach... I also saw my first Tiger shark there and it scared the hell out of me[:eek:]

Keep looking for those diving classes, Bryan... there must be a diveshop somewhere near you?

Wayne

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Wayne, Why do you need 50lbs of weight.[sm=lol.gif]

Went by Dive Pro today. Lot of compatition down here so prices are really good.

I'll email you later.

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Cap...

Some of us full figured guys needa little extra weight when they dive in a drysuit, besides, I like to be a little heavy on the bottom when I rooting around in the mud and muck for glass gems[&:]

Wayne

Pam thought the male/female bird thing was worth a chuckle and she said the same thing about us... "You guys are like two peas in a pod..."

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new collector (sort of) I did a LOT of digging when I was a kid and have been away from bottles for 25 years. Somehow I just got the bug again. I am mostly interested in flasks for my collection but interested in digging all.
Me too, just about the same time frame. I'm only 4 towns away if you feel like going out. I still got a back, it just aches a lot more.

billm

Reaction score
Hi Mike, I'm a new member (today) and live in Nashua. Used to do a lot of exploring for old dumps and have dug a few bottles over the years. I'm retired and still have my health, and I'd be interested in any digs you'd like some company on. I'm available most of the time - weekdays or weekends.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229