New Digging Spot to Dig or Not to Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a predicament and I was wondering what you guys would do in my situation. Recently I went down to Mohican State Forest..again. There are 2 small waterfalls that I hiked back to see. They were awesome but anyway I decided to go off the trail (even though you're not supposed to) and do some mushroom hunting. Well I ended up at the top of the waterfall and started following the creek back into the forest. Well guess what?? I found a DUMP!! I got really excited and started digging around with a stick. All the stuff on top was BIMAL. This is my first dump that is this old. I didn't find anything whole but I want to go back and dig some more. Since it is a State Park I'm sure they don't want me digging holes in their forest. I think I can fit a small shovel in a backpack. Do you guys think I should? I don't want to get in any trouble if a park ranger should happen to see me. ( I doubt they will the forest is over 4,000 acres)

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
You are going to get different responses on this Bryan, and in the end you will have to decide for yourself. I haven't dug a bottle in so long I forget what glass feels like, and I know where a ton of them are. They are ,however, on private land and the landowners aren't havin none of it. I respect that as hard as it is. State and Federal land is a whole different ballgame. Your not just trespassing on your neighbor and might get your hand slapped. You will be screwing with the big boys and they can and will get nasty (especially Federal). Large fines, if you're lucky, just probation. I'm not telling you yes or no. I'm telling you to think about it. The ones that tell you to go for it at any cost probably won't be there to post your bail![:D] Like I said, this is my opinion and you'll probably get others that disagree with me. In the end, it is your ass, your money, your time, and...... your bottles if you don't get caught![;)] lol! Kelley

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Hey Kelley, thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing. But it's really tempting to go back because of the age of this dump. Hmm, I'm still a juvie for another few months so if I decide to "look" at the dump again at least they can't throw me in jail...I think??

JGUIS

Reaction score
I wouldn't get too worked up over it. I've done the same in a state park, and there is no law against it. Here's what you do, take your normal tools, add a cardboard box and a couple trash bags. While you're there, make sure EVERYTHING you dig up that you dont want, goes into the box. Make sure on your way in and out, you pick up every piece of trash in your path. Having worked with ODNR in the past, you will have no problems. They rely on volunteer help, and picking up trash, is picking up trash, regardless how old it is, or what you do with it. The only thing you need to make sure of is leaving it like you left it, fill your holes just like you were digging a privy in someones back yard. That kind of stuff helps our futures with the parks department.

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna go back and dig. But don't you think I would look a little odd carrying a shovel, pick-axe, a cardboard box and trash bags? People might think I'm burying dead bodies. [&:]

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey Bryan...

I think Josh and Kelly have given you some sage advice... As always, proceed with caution, and good luck!!!

Ron

crkgrl

Reaction score
I have been in this situation before and did not dig, but did look for items above ground. In national parks, I believe you can not take anything out. May be the same for state parks, but you may want to check. A great book about a similar situation is "The Orchid Thief".

For me, it is more about ethically not disturbing the dump. On the other hand, somebody else may do it if you dont. A tough decision for sure. Would be neat if you could work with the state and display some finds. That probably wont happen.

reptilekeeper

Reaction score
I will tell you from very recent experiance, digging on any state or federal land is illegal. I have found it all depends on what rabbit cop you run into that particular day. I just had to go to court YES court, for digging in a old farm dump on state land. They charged me with removing ARTIFACTS from state land. The only thing they confiscated from me was a @#$$# MARBLE "good thing the dump wasn,t that good!" this is the artifact that cost me a 500.00 Fine!! DIG WITH CAUTION is my advice, and if it dosn't fell right it most likely isn't.

LP

JGUIS

Reaction score
The only thing I could find about digging in Ohio state parks is gathering roots out of season is illegal, and removing artifacts from a native american site is illegal. You also cannot remove anything from a nature preserve or a wildlife refuge. Other than that, ODNR doesn't list anything. Also, I might leave the pick axe at home, if it's in the woods the soil is probably pretty loamy anyway, so you shouldn't need it. If you want, I'll come dig with you. [;)]

madman

Reaction score
hey db, you only live once, i say dont get caught, have a plan if things go bad,enjoy life do what you believe is right, and have fun mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause