New dump, local and a tin sign

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kwalker

Reaction score
After two hours of enjoying the fresh cool almost-autumn air, I stumbled across a small hill next to an old canning factory site. I found a few shards, then a small unembossed bottle and soon I was down to business digging for bottles. I dont think I've got all the bottles so I'll be back for more. I have about 11 keepers of a roughly 20 bottles I found. I also found this nice tin sign too. "The Standard Scale Pittsburg, PA" It cleaned up really nice too. Here's a group shot. Nothing overly valueable, but a new local for me to add.

9-18001.jpg

VanBuskirks Fragrant Lotion for the Teeth and Breath
9-18004.jpg

Not sure on this base, any help?
9-18005.jpg

Watkins Face Cream
9-18003.jpg

New local [:)]
9-18002.jpg

Perfume I presume, may I have some help on this base too?
9-18006.jpg

9-18007.jpg

The sign. Cleaned up pretty nicely
9-18008.jpg

Nice perfume I pulled.

epackage

Reaction score
Nice Camden, too bad it's not a blob but I love the embossing.....Jim

kwalker

Reaction score
You're telling me, I'd love to have a blob from Camden. But I'll settle for this ABM instead [&:]

Also, the VanBurkirsks says "Sozodont" on it instead of Lotion, I was thinking about another bottle that said that when I posted that [:D]

ruccello

Reaction score
Hey kwalker, nice finds. I just looked at the perfume you found and the base looks similar to a pattern glass cruet I dug recently and posted here. Cobaltbot and RedMathews both had the same to say about my cruet. Here's what Red wrote about the bottle I found, which also applies to your's I believe. The base mark looks similar to a pontil mark, but it's called a cut-shut mark. Attached is a photo of mine, with the base mark. It almost looks like the glass was twisted and flattened on the base.

Hello, I just bought a water bottle with these same characteristics and the cut-shut mark on it. When the item was pressed there was a round moil of glass added to the bottom of the pressed design. This moil was usually about four inches high. After the glass was pressed in the mold, the plunger was pulled out and the moil was rotated in a turning action which brought the glass into a small point between two cones. The glass was then sheared in the point area and the removed glass was pressed on a marver plate to flatten the bottom. I know the top of my water bottle had a bottom plug to make the inside of the neck. In the case of a pitcher the pouring lip was also formed. Some of these pitchers had handle cavities in the two part mold and some required an applied handle. There just isn't much procedural information available for my satisfaction. But the glass work is remarkable. A lot of vinegar cruets are made this same way.

I think the pouring lip and handle were in the mold of yours, ruccello.

I know when I worked with Thatchers, we had to drill holes into the mold halves and in towards the handle core area. Then we put copper rods (usually two of them in each half) to extract heat from the inside of the pressed handle glass. Expensive solutions.
RED Matthews

Richard

65A4671080D94131BAFF1659AB9910F0.jpg

Attachments

• 65A4671080D94131BAFF1659AB9910F0.jpg
    65A4671080D94131BAFF1659AB9910F0.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 21

epackage

Reaction score
I'll keep my eyes peeled for you on the blob....

kwalker

Reaction score
Good old RED, he's a real wealth of knowledge when it comes to stuff like this. I was confused about the base since mostly everything I found was TOC up until the 30's and having a pontiled perfume just seemed a little odd to me. Thanks for clearing that up though.

epackage, Thanks [:)]

madman

Reaction score
VERY NICE FINDS LOOKS LIKE A FUN DIG!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Hey K, nice harvest! I like the Citrate, looks like a older one.. what is the embossing on the square one next to the perfume cruet, 2nd from right?

9-18001.jpg

kwalker

Reaction score
cyber, It says "Frank Miller's Crown Dressing New York, USA" and has a nice picture of a crown. It was the second one I pulled out and made me realize I was on to something. I'm pretty sure this is a common one, it's got a tooled lip though.

kwalker

Reaction score
I hit the dump nice and early again today. As the usual with me, the second day is never as eventful as the first. I came back with a few keepers and a few nice relics. One crier was an iron pontiled cobalt embossed local mineral water with a broken lip. It ended up breaking into even more pieces later by mistake. However, I got a nice Grape-Ola, two Charles H. Fletcher Castorias, a few milk glass cosmetics, a Carters Ink, a Whithurst bottle (no idea on the company), a nice blue lid, a broken pipe, a local plate off of something and a pretty ring.

Group
001-8.jp]

Grape-Ola
002-5.jpg

Castoria
003-5.jpg

004-7.jpg

006-7.jpg

007-4.jpg

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics