New here with a question on this bottle!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rcn72679

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Renee! I just bought a very interesting bottle today! I've always loved antiques but never went beyond going antiquing with my mom, so I'm new to all this. Bein' a stay at home mom, I needed another hobby...LOL! So I was at a yard sale today & picked up this bottle for $2. It has a rounded bottom so it cannot stand on end. It has an open pontil..which is called a moile I guess. The seam stops where the blob top begins & the seam goes all the way around the bottle vertically. It has air bubbles & some look like seeds. The top is a blob top. There are no embossments whatsoever. Any idea? Did I just waste $2...LOL! I have Warman's field guide on bottles, but I definately need a better one.

b2.jpg

b1.jpg

Here's a pic of me too!

web1.jpg

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It has an open pontil..which is called a moile I guess.
First, it's not a pontil. Pontil scars are at the base. It's around the turn of the century and probably English. BLM's page can help you with future finds for id-ing.
http://www.blm.gov/historic_bottles/bases.htm
Your style bottle is towards the bottom of this page but I highly recommend the whole site.

No, you didn't waste $2, it's still cool and looks pretty clean. I still see them sell for $5-10 at times but for the most part are common without embossing.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, you may be hooked now so we'll probably here back from you.

rcn72679

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

It has an open pontil..which is called a moile I guess.
First, it's not a pontil. Pontil scars are at the base.

Thank you[;)] I'm not understanding pontils here even though I've read them over & over. I need visual aids...LOL! The bottom of this bottle has a pin-head size depressed circle. I guess from reading the definitions of pontils in my book I thought that's what that was. I'm just getting more & more confused the more I read without pictures. I need to have pics[sm=rolleyes.gif]

lexdigger

Reaction score
Hey Renee, welcome to the board and hobby! The best thing to do for a new collector is to read everything you can get your hands on. Books, magazines, websites, etc. The more research you do, the more informed you will be on future buys. It would also be good if you could try to meet up with some other local bottle collectors/diggers. They will be an invaluable source of info on local bottles and thier values. I'm posting a link to a great website to get started. After you read and study this page, start clicking on the other links at the bottom. You can litterally spend weeks on there researching and reading digging stories. What part of the country are you in? I'm in Lexington, Kentucky. Chris Capley

http://www.bottlebooks.com/basics.htm

rcn72679

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: lexdigger

Hey Renee, welcome to the board and hobby! The best thing to do for a new collector is to read everything you can get your hands on. Books, magazines, websites, etc. The more research you do, the more informed you will be on future buys. It would also be good if you could try to meet up with some other local bottle collectors/diggers. They will be an invaluable source of info on local bottles and thier values. I'm posting a link to a great website to get started. After you read and study this page, start clicking on the other links at the bottom. You can litterally spend weeks on there researching and reading digging stories. What part of the country are you in? I'm in Lexington, Kentucky. Chris Capley

http://www.bottlebooks.com/basics.htm

Thank you! I'm in Madison, Indiana! Not far from you at all[:)] About 2 hours away!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Where did you come up with that term "moile".
My dictionary defines it as an ancient style of shoe?
Just curious.

rcn72679

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

Where did you come up with that term "moile".
My dictionary defines it as an ancient style of shoe?
Just curious.

Well hi to you too! As I said, I'm new to these terms, but in Warman's Field Guide on Bottles, the definition of open pontil is "The blowpipe was affixed to the base instead of a seperate rod with a scar that is a depressed or raised circle called a moile." I misunderstood things & am learning.

I appreciate the helpful advice from some of you, but after almost 100 views & hardly any responses, I think I'll bow out now! I feel like I'm intruding on the men's club[;)]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Thanks , I never knew that.
I learn stuff in this forum all the time.

Dont be put off if you dont get a lot of responses on a post. People post on what they feel like posting on. Some posts will get a lot of responses others wont. Its the nature of forums, nothing personal.

You are in no way 'intruding'. This is an open forum and anyone is welcome to post here.

As to your original question... its a common soda water bottle from around 1900 +/- a few years. $2 is a reasonable price to pay for it.

cookie

Reaction score
Hi- I agree with lexdigger -get as much info. as you can -talk to people in your area... and have fun..good luck!

rcn72679

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

Thanks , I never knew that.
I learn stuff in this forum all the time.

Dont be put off if you dont get a lot of responses on a post. People post on what they feel like posting on. Some posts will get a lot of responses others wont. Its the nature of forums, nothing personal.

You are in no way 'intruding'. This is an open forum and anyone is welcome to post here.

As to your original question... its a common soda water bottle from around 1900 +/- a few years. $2 is a reasonable price to pay for it.

Ok! I just felt kind of weird bein' the only girl that I've seen so far & thought with all the views & hardly any replies, I was in the wrong forum....LOL! So I'm confused now with your dating. The seam stops on the upper part of the neck, so I was under the impression that it was made between 1860-1890? Also the blob top would show it was between 1840-1870? I'm learning more about pontils, I think...LOL, & the base is smooth. The more I read, the more confused I think I get...LOL! But it's fun! I've always loved antiques!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter