new member here, wanting info

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ticoun

Reaction score
hi
i'm new to bottle collecting, and i wanted to show here my two vintage soda bottles, and also would like to get info on the second one.

first bottle is a light green coca cola bottle that belonged to my grandmother. it is missing some chips from the writing, mainly because my grandmother apparently used this bottle to tenderize meat. from the research i've done, i was able to identify it as a 1951 D-patent bottle, made in Auburn, NY. (note that the cap is brand new.)
dsc01633k.jpg

dsc01638w.jpg

dsc01637y.jpg

second bottle is a Pepsi cola bottle i found half buried in mud in the woods, with moss growing inside. i managed to clean it up pretty well. for the date, that's where i need your help. there are inscriptions on the bottom of the bottle, but these are so faint that it is impossible to take a picture. it says "PEPSI COLA COMPANY OF CANADA LIMITED" around the perimeter of the base, and in the middle, "7 15-1960"(patent date?). there are other marks, but so faint that i just can't read them.
dsc01635zl.jpg

dsc01636d.jpg

ps: i don't want to become addicted to bottle collecting, the vintage fountain pen addiction is already enough!

Attachments

• F00F26CACA3542D7AFB4660039720E8E.jpg
    F00F26CACA3542D7AFB4660039720E8E.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 79

carobran

Reaction score
ps: i don't want to become addicted to bottle collecting[/quote/] so many bottle collector's last words....[8|][8|][8D]

ticoun

Reaction score
the PEPSI is 1970'ish..
many thanks for the info.
that's what i first thought, but wanted the opinion of someone more knowledgeable about bottles than me. i wasn't able to find any reference about these later Pepsi bottles, only about the early ones.

ORIGINAL: carobran

ps: i don't want to become addicted to bottle collecting
] so many bottle collector's last words....[8|][8|][8D]
i meant that i do want to expand my bottle collection in the future, but i want my main collecting focus to remain on vintage fountain pens.
and since i've posted my first message on this forum, i found out that i would like to find an old dump with some bottle potential. bottles have this advantage over fountain pens: you can't dig up an old dump hoping to find near mint fountain pens, but it is possible with bottles.[;)]

carobran

Reaction score
no problem[;)]...............and when it comes to bottles im like Forest Gump compared to some members[8|].....................never thought of using a coke bottle as a meat tenderizer.........hmmmm[:D][:D]

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
Meat tenserizing is one of many things you could do with a Coke bottle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCQIGiXf0JA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
You should probably journey to throw it off of the edge of the earth

surfaceone

Reaction score
it as a 1951 D-patent bottle, made in Auburn, NY.

Hello Gabriel,

Welcome and thanks for bringing the bottles and the tenderizing story.

Not that it makes much difference, but the bottle was made at the Fairmont, West Virginia, Plant #2 of Owens Illinois.

bottles have this advantage over fountain pens: you can't dig up an old dump hoping to find near mint fountain pens, but it is possible with bottles.

I have actually dug a giveaway fountain pen from a bank that went under in the Great Depression. I gave it to a friend who also collects fountain pens. It wasn't exactly "mint," though the nib was intact, as it had been screwed closed when the pen was discarded. My friend seemed pleased with it, or was pretending to be. I chased it with an older cone ink, and he did like that, I think.

"I have never noticed a "wild" taste with venison so I'm not trying to cook it out. I have used the Coke bottle method for tenderizing it before. ( You lightly pound the meat with the open end of a glass Coke bottle til it resembles a cubed steak) Just thought there might be a better way....

Instead of using the coke bottle, use what's in the bottle. Coke is a tenderizer, due to the acid content, and it leaves no taste behind. " From.

boot-bbq-branding-iron__72574_zoom.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks