New Sacramento Druggists

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
We pulled a few more Sackamenna pharmacies from the privy depths today. I wasn't payin' too much attention, but there were a couple of script Washburns and rectangular G.S. Waits. Nothin' killa, just some interesting TC stuff. Normally, I won't put much effort into late housing, but what the heck. There were some rather nice poisons that did make it interesting, though.
Cobalt "knob job" triangles, amber rectangle "knobbers", an Owl triangle, and another blue iodine with glass dropper. No embossed beers or whiskies, so my level of excitement was about a 4. Another, hopefully older, pit was probed for tomorrow AM. Maybe I'll snap some action if it looks pic worthy.

Wilkie

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CALDIGR2

We pulled a few more Sackamenna pharmacies from the privy depths today. I wasn't payin' too much attention, but there were a couple of script Washburns and rectangular G.S. Waits. Nothin' killa, just some interesting TC stuff. Normally, I won't put much effort into late housing, but what the heck. There were some rather nice poisons that did make it interesting, though.
Cobalt "knob job" triangles, amber rectangle "knobbers", an Owl triangle, and another blue iodine with glass dropper. No embossed beers or whiskies, so my level of excitement was about a 4. Another, hopefully older, pit was probed for tomorrow AM. Maybe I'll snap some action if it looks pic worthy.
Sounds like a pretty interesting hole to me. What size owl did you pull out?

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
It was a 4 incher, Tim. Nothin' special, but it still had the cork in it. Yesterday's pit kicked out over a hundred bottles, but not too many keepers by my standards. I normally won't mess with TOC pits, but since we opened it up and found no ABMs on top we went for it. Some local pharmacies are sometimes worth a few hours labor.
As you can see, these pits are messy, with lots of smashed household junk. They must have had a buncha rug rats 'cause there were at least 14 nursers in that hole. One interesting SF pharm, Wm. Himmelsbach, Pharmacist, Fillmore and Bush Sts, SF. Since it was unfamiliar to me it wasn't "returned to the depositor" like some were. The bummer about TOC pits is the sheer amount of "slickers". Oh yeah, I did pull out a neat green applied top etched "Freddie" beer from SF. A few clear older bevel base "hooters" and an urn shaped Palmer, too. The rest were samo-samo common patent meds and fruiters. Here's a snap of the trash filled dirt pile as the dig was ongoing. Nothing in that privy was worth wasting battery time on, believe me.

F530B995C1684551B811A21C4DA5823A.jpg

Attachments

• F530B995C1684551B811A21C4DA5823A.jpg
    F530B995C1684551B811A21C4DA5823A.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 65

FloridaRecycled

Reaction score
You don't sound too excited for someone that dug up a whole lot of boobies!!! (nursers and hooters I believe you called 'em)!!! LOL

I'm sorry - I couldn't resist - serious though...question about the nursers you found - were they the older ones (lay down type with the long tube and nipple at the end? Were any embossed? - Did you keep those?

Also - when you dig and see fruit jars...if you see lids do you keep those? If you re-bury all that stuff...draw me a map...I think it's time for a road trip!!!

Hopefully when I do my first dig it will be a good one - cause just from a 1st time perspective I'm gonna have to keep it all!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Oh no, if we do all the work, we do keep most everything, to a point. "Hooters" are a local term of endearment" for Owl Drug Co embossed bottles. Most of the nursers were thrashed and were of the common "graduated nursing bottles", so weren't much. Some of the jars were more everyday CFJ, Mason Fruit Jars, and 1858s. No good closures, all the remained was the lid liners. Maybe next time. All I really want are 1860s, 70s and 80s pits. 1890s, maybe OK, anything newer not much interest and only if it's "desperation time".

Wilkie

Reaction score
If you ever have a pit like that with "non-keepers", instead of throwing 'em in, hire someone out to fill the pit in for you for the throw backs.........hint, hint... (course, I'm sure Aaron would be willing to do it too, for the Sacramento embossed ones that you don't want)

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CanYaDigIt

Are there any pontiled embossed Sacramento meds?
Yes, there are two. "Compound/ Fluid Extract/ Of Manzanita/ Drs McDonald and Levy/ Sacramento City/ California", oval, 4 !/2", Aqua, OP
"Rowler's Rheumatism Medicine/ Prepared By Dr. J. R. Boyce/ Sacramento", round, 8", Aqua, Green, OP, IP, SB

Both bottles are extremely scarce and seldom dug. Back in the heyday of Old Sacramento digging, several examples of both bottles were dug by myself and others. Even at that time they brought an unheard of $125-150. Now, the manzanita is easily in the $750 range and the Boyce is double that. Go dig a few, you'll have plenty interested collectors.

Lordbud

Reaction score
Wm. Himmelsbach, Pharmacist, Fillmore and Bush Sts, SF

This one is listed in Miller's book but with the mysterious rating of "unrated" which he specifies as "not having enough information" about the given druggist bottle. I've got this Peters Sackamenna dose glass I'm looking to trade for something or other.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Lordbud

Wm. Himmelsbach, Pharmacist, Fillmore and Bush Sts, SF

This one is listed in Miller's book but with the mysterious rating of "unrated" which he specifies as "not having enough information" about the given druggist bottle. I've got this Peters Sackamenna dose glass I'm looking to trade for something or other.
I emailed Ed about some Sackamenna bottles, but didn't even mention the SF one. I dug an "unknown"(?) G.S.Wait on Sunday. I can't recall this one, but forgetting bottles is easy for me. 4" strap sided rectangular.

That trade works for me, Jason. I'll take a pic of the Himmelsbach for you.

DF6FE0B9461944899B8CCF7436380C54.jpg

Attachments

• DF6FE0B9461944899B8CCF7436380C54.jpg
    DF6FE0B9461944899B8CCF7436380C54.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 69

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MotherMayhem