Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

New to bottles

Feb 18, 2020
Hi all- I'm new to this bottle thing. I just inherited all these bottles. My mom said most of them were picked up at construction sites in and around Ann Arbor, MI.
Do I clean them? With what? Just kinda overwhelmed and would love some guidance.

Attachments

Screwtop

Sep 1, 2018
Carter County Kentucky
Welcome to a fun dilemma! From what I see right there, they seem to be common, low end bottles that don't appear to need much in the way of cleaning. If you'd like them to be cleaned, there are many ways to do it. I'd start out with warm/hot soapy water.

Are any embossed? (words, letters or pictures in raised form on the bottle)

sandchip

Sep 1, 2008
Georgia
Only start with water that is roughly the same temperature as your bottles. Sometimes, even bringing a bottle from outside on a cold day into a warm house can spell disaster. Glass doesn't like sudden temperature changes in either direction. Many of the bottles appear to have ground staining as opposed to dirt. Washing won't do a whole lot of good on that.

Most importantly, welcome to the hobby and to the forum!

Feb 18, 2020
Thank you so much! Most of these were displayed for a good 30 years or more in an unheated and un-air-conditioned lakefront cottage. I'm surprised they even survived the trip from Michigan to Alabama.

hemihampton

Oct 6, 2006
Could be something good in there. Since I collect Michigan Bottles & Ann Arbor Bottles I'd be Interested to know what these 3 bottles are? do you have better pics of these 3? Curious, Let me know. THANKS, LEON.
AnnArborDugBottles.jpg
AnnArborDugBottles - Copy.jpg

Feb 18, 2020
Are you an Ann Arborite? I lived there for 41 years before moving to Alabama 5 years ago. I'll go down and grab those bottles and take some pics.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theagegolden