New to Collection--He just wouldn't take No.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
When you offer to give your services for free to help someone in need of help, don't be surprised if they refuse to take "No" as an answer when they offer to pay you. My neighbour's maple tree was half-killed, his baby peach tree pretty well battered, and his roof is now in need of replacing as the storm compromised that too. So, having helped him with the trees and offering more help whenever he needs it (He just moved in, then BOOM! the storm hits. Lovely for him.) I now have a job and potentially over-appreciative neighbor. He's already assigned me wages. My job is an editor for his book he is going to republish (I'm only through chapter 14; it takes awhile to pick out every error,) hauling brush and wood from his dying tree which is to soon be totally removed, and hauling shingles from his roof to be replaced next week. Today, after a morning bike ride, he flagged me down a I pulled into my driveway and told me more plans, finalized plans, and the wages to be, gave me his daughter's email (she is an editor of his, but not proof-reader which is where I come in,) ten dollars for what I've so far done, and a 1930 Paul's Drinks bottle. You see the one in clear, that's the one he gave me. My other Paul's Drinks bottle is the original, about 1920 (Paul's is--was--a Coca-Cola company owned product run by Paul G. Miller from 1917 till his death sometime later, I do believe. It failed in the 1950s.) It is interesting to see the comparison, how they change over one decade. This is variation five of the bottle I have now seen. Variation three I have had come into my possession (the third variation, or rather second in chronological order, was just the base of a 1952 version not made by Root, but Owens.) It's severely damaged. He said he was just going to toss it out, but it to me was a very nice gift and looks pretty nice near my other Paul's bottle. So, this is my most recent addition next to my 1890's Muskegon Bottling Works soda-pop bottle of which I am still excited!

Attachments

• c07036acdd4643538d346b020cbbd4ec.jpg
    c07036acdd4643538d346b020cbbd4ec.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 78
  • e105bd3dcf744fe7b99bf2a0eb0fc6a5.jpg
    e105bd3dcf744fe7b99bf2a0eb0fc6a5.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 273499394c584eafbb50930d7c50040c.jpg
    273499394c584eafbb50930d7c50040c.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 84

LisaTammy

Reaction score
I like it! I'm a real sucker for embossing.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Thank you, Lisa! The green tinted Paul's bottle is my second or third favorite of my collection. No real value (That I know of. The green ones are uncommon, but people price them the same as clear), not my oldest, but a favorite for the following reasons: One, I didn't know about date codes when researching it so I spent months looking for one till I found two telling me late teens or early twenties. Two, it was an early find of mine. Three, Drink/Paul's/Drinks forms a Z, which is the first and last letter of my last name. Four, my favorite color's green! (Hence my room and many clothes' colors. and eye color.) Five, it's the most embossed bottle in my collection. Six, I once had a friend with the last name of Miller, still wonder if they proprietor and he are related. Seven, I clearly recall finding it. Eight, it's local! And nine, ten months of research often finally told me all I needed to know about it, the company, Coca-Cola, Paul Miller, and how they cleaned bottles back in the day as well as I stumbled across Date Codes. Now forgive me as I glare at the screen, It has one at the base next to Root. Heh. Would have made it so much easier.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Same thought now a-days. Only Root comes in that shade. And, whenever I find a shard that colour, I know it to be good ol' Root! :D What do you call it? I call it bright Lime-Green.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Huh. Just found an identical green one on Ebay. Guy spelled the name as "Paul C. Miller." It's Paul G. Miller. I'm surprised he didn't call Muskegon "Muskecon." The G looks the same in the name of both person and town on the bottle. The other guy got it right with the clear one at least. His is '40s or '50s, though. But his grammar is....

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Root green, Ball blue? OK what color is forest green? Doesn't that depend on the type of forest and the season? Same with moss etc.. I sold a cobalt Bromo and got a comment "it's electric blue". What the heck is that!!!! I'll never get all that color stuff. [:D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson