new to dump finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

simpleman

Reaction score
Hello,
Im an ACL collector, & have only bought from flea markets, antique stores etc, but thought I might try my hand at seeing what interesting finds that could come up with from old dumps etc. Problem is, I dont have a clue where to start. How do I go about finding these locations? Im in New Albany, Indiana, right across the Ohio river from Louisville Kentucky if that helps. I went down to the river, to a place near the dam that my grandpa used to take me as a kid. It used to have all sorts of bottles & a little bit of everything else on the bank. But now there is absolutely nothing. Any help?

Alaska

Reaction score
need to get yourself a probe!

at/near the banks of the river look for irregularities in the ground, scratch around.... and see what comes out. or just keep walking until you see broken glass or a pile o stuff that looks like it shouldnt be there.

good luck!

jays emporium

Reaction score
If you're looking for ACL soda bottles, since ACL's are relatively new compared to hand blown bottles, some of those dumps are not covered with dirt yet. The best way I know if is to walk along creeks and look for broken glass, rusty cans and whole screw top bottles that have washed up and then figure out where it is coming from. Trash was often dumped in ravines and dumps from the 1940's-60's should not be too hard to find on the surface.
Another good place to look for ACL's is under old wooden buildings. Bottles often got thrown under there and the paint would be in better condition than dump bottles because they would be protected from the elements. I used to crawl buildings for older bottles 30+ years ago and I didn't keep ACL's then. I ought to go back to some of them but I'm probably too fat to fit in those tight spaces now.
Jay

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85