New to site

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

billythemtn

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just started to dig again after a 25 year hiatus. I was neck deep back in the 70's and early 80's. My uncle was an early digger and got me into it in a big way. I've been unpacking boxes of bottles that have been storage all this time. I've set up a curio I plan on rotating bottles on display at our home. I have a bottle that has been somewhat of a mystery to me since I found it in the eroded lakebank of the Lake Erie shoreline in NE Ohio. It was all by itself and not part of a dump per se. I know it to be at least mid 1800's from the blown in wood mold internal "whittle" marks, the pontil scar and the sloppy applied top. It is 9" H and aquamarine in color. It's a medicine bottle labeled: Preston's Vegetable Purifying Catholicon Portsm 'th, NH. I remember my teenage letters to the Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce, Historical Society, etc. went unanswered at the time. Any further info would be greatly appreciated (i.e. rarity, etc). This picture doesn't show great detail unfortunately.

EE9F1777211E4178AF5557B633BA3D18.jpg

Attachments

• EE9F1777211E4178AF5557B633BA3D18.jpg
    EE9F1777211E4178AF5557B633BA3D18.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 86

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Welcome Billythemtn,
And welcome back to bottle collecitng. I don't know too much about your bottle but it is is early, crude, and nice. I like the religious implications of "Catholicon". I can't recall seeing that word used (at least commonly) on other medicines, druggists, cures etc . . . What you have might be early AND rare.

TJSJHART

Reaction score
hey billy,,, welcome how's ethel ? that tree sticking out of your shoulder? hacked up any boulders crushing the lincoln,,, thoses few words should worry a few people huh,, the bottle bug got you again. this group of peoples are great .. have fun. F.Z. R.I.P.

RedGinger

Reaction score
A Portsmouth bottle at Lake Erie is pretty unusual. I've been bugging Joe to go with me to find some beach glass (the PA side). I've seen that bottle before. I think Gunther Hess would know. Maybe it was his site I saw it on, I can't remember.
www.antiquemedicines.com/forum You might check there.

billythemtn

Reaction score
TJS...with two big caves for eyes and a cliff for a jaw that went up and down....definitely R.I.P. Studebaker Hawk... You're only the 3rd person in ten years to get the reference...I know I am with good peoples...

Everyone, thanks for the info! With verbiage such as Catholicon, I'm surprised they weren't as bold as to sell holy water. I gues Florida Water is as close as anyone came....

I definitely am bit again... I came across a map of an old stagecoach trail I want to follow before someone turns the woods into duplexes and condo's... There's still some good weather to be had before the tundra sets up..

justanolddigger

Reaction score
In my opinion, Guntheress has the best price guide out there, and he has a listing for $416 in 2000. There have been two on ebay recently, one sold for $430 in 2008, and another just last August for $415, so I think you are seeing a good consistent price for an undamaged specimen. It has a lot going for it with the size, shape, embossing, location, and of course pontiled. Overall, a very nice bottle.
Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28