New to the Antique Bottles Community {and digging}

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dekuyper

Reaction score
Hi! I am Isabella and I am rather new to bottle collecting. I got very interested in it the first time my sister {who has a very large bottle dump behind her house} showed me to her dump. I got rather intrigued when I saw a small {about 3 inches now that I think about it} Cobalt bottle without a cap on the surface. To my dismay when I flipped it over, it had a very large hole in it. Later that same day I took home 3 of my first bottles which I assume are the first of many. I found out later that they were all Hazel Atlas and not as early as I thought. The year of each is still unclear, if you know anything about them then PM me. I want to know as much as I can about my first yet worthless sentimental bottles. If you have tips or suggestions for a beginner {I will be going on my first dig very soon} then let me know! I am thrilled to be joining the community. <Edit: Font >

botlguy

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Isabella. It is difficult to evaluate your items, monetarily or intrinsically, without more information / pictures but typically glass items made by Hazel - Atlas have relatively little value because they are new and mass produced. That said, your items may have more interest but we won't know until we get better descriptions. Pictures are always best. Please give it a try. Jim

Lordbud

Reaction score
Hazel Atlas would place the bottles in the late 1930s or newer? If memory serves...Dig deep. If you find lots of newer bottles on the surface of the dump, then go deeper to look for older layers of refuse/glass/metal etc. If most of the bottles you find are 1930s or newer then look for embossed milk bottles which are collectible even though they might be circa the 1930s-1940s.

sunrunner

Reaction score
you are in a good aria . great bottles come out of Baltimore. for digging in your dump you will need good heavy gloves , a hand garden rake a shovel and backpack or plastic bucket to carry you bottles home. now , go to the edge of the dump ( Where the dump ends ) . Start digging down until you are in under the trash.now start digging into the trash layer . always stay at the bottom.good luck.

kleinkaliber

Reaction score
Like Lordbud said, many very nice milk bottles (and soda bottles) can come from a '30s-'40s era dump. So even if things don't get older as you dig deeper, don't be discouraged, you may still find some very nice bottles.

Dekuyper

Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, I have recently found a glass 7-up bottle on the surface of my dump while taking a walk. I have researched and have an estimated range from the 1960s to the 1930s. The front has the 'Swimsuit Woman' and the back reads :
THE "Fresh Up" DRINK​
CONTAINS CARBONATED WATER, SUGAR,
CITRIC ACID, LITHIA AND SODA CITRATES.
FLAVOR DERIVED FROM LEMON AND LIME OILS.
YOU LIKE IT​
IT LIKES YOU​
___________​
CONTENTS 7 FL. OZ
THIS TRADEMARKED BOTTLE MUST NOT
BE USED FOR ANY OTHER DRINK.
Is there anything else you can tell me about this bottle? I'm not concerned with prices.
t0gmfa.jpg
fel1lt.jpg

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Weii my eyes aren't verry good - but I wanted to tell you that if there are seams on the sides of the bottle top closure part of the bottle - it iw machine made and what most people collect are hand blown glass items. They will have tool marks on them that ahow horizontally on thee formed finish the bottle needed.. Finish is the name for the closure zone of all bottles. When this finish area was tooled, the bottle had to have a handle put on the bottom of the new item - to hold it for working on it. Thi8s made a pontil mark in the center of the bottom. That pontil device could hav been the pre ious blow pipe or a punty rod made for doing the holding job, - while the finish was tooled. Please read my home page - I like to help new collectors. I have don it for 77+ years now. RED Matthews

hemihampton

Reaction score
The 7up bottle they call ACL for Applied Color Label or painted label. Very collectible to some collectors & some worth good money but the 7up is common but has many different variations of it. Is there any rusty dented Beer Cans in this Dump? I collect those. LEON.

Nevadabottles

Reaction score
Hi welcome, I am also new I just started last year and these are just the bottles that I have found in my yard. The one on the very left is an opium bottle used by the Chinese slaves. The second one is a 7-up like yours, and the third one (the best one) is an 1800's aqua blob top. The last one is a small purple medicine bottle.

Attachments

• a8efef409a024c21b10eabcf2643e365.jpg
    a8efef409a024c21b10eabcf2643e365.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 86

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well again - I have to make emphasis to the fact that if you are looking for the old hand blown glass, you will be finding the highest value items. Check the top closure glass for side seams. if there vertical seams in that area - the item was made on a glass machine. If the closure was applied glass and tooled to the desired form for a cork stopper, it has a good chance of having a pontil mark on the bottom center area. Empontilling proved a handle to hold the bottle while the finish was completed. Go to my home page shown below, and you will know more about bottoe making the early glass. RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH