Newby Needing Help! Unknown Bottle Lot #1

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

serendipity

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This website is so fascinating - I have spent hours just looking! I am hoping someone can help me. I was recently given a set of bottles by an elderly lady that doesn't use the computer. She knew I did and thought I may be able to find out some information on these. She inherited these from her Mother and Aunt who both recently passed. Any information - age, type, value if any - you may have would be greatly appreciated!
I will try to give you as much information as I can - if you need any further pictures I will be happy to take more.

Little Clear Bottle on left has embossed J. Rieger & Co Distributors Kansas City , MO. Has an 8 marked in the lip (not embossed).

Clear bottle on right has no markings except a 3 on the bottom and what looks like a larger circle with a smaller circle inside (not embossed but in the glass) also on the bottom.

Green Circular Bottle - has round circle on bottom. Also a marking of some sort - kinda looks like an eye with an oval running vertically on top of it. Also has PAT APPLD FOR embossed.

Violin Bottle - Has FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR RE-USE OF THIS BOTTLE on back. Seam stops before top part. Also a circle in the glass on the bottom like other and the same marking (eye with oval on top of it). Embossed numbers D202 64-9 and what looks like DES PAT. 107353

Golden color bottle - Has an eagle with a crest on front, furled American flag on back(It didn't pick up very well in the photo). ribbed sides, can't see a seam. No markings on the bottom just a swirling circular area with a bump in the middle.

I have another set - I couldn't fit all of them in one picture - I will posting also.

I apologize for my descriptions - I do not know the bottle terminology! The only bottle I'm familiar with is a beer bottle...preferably less than 6 months old! [:D]

Thanks again for your help!
serendipity

Om32248.jpg

Attachments

• Om32248.jpg
    Om32248.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 85

bubbas dad

Reaction score
the green one is i believe a prune juice bottle. after they were empty people would use them for water bottles.

serendipity

Reaction score
Hi John!
A prune juice bottle - really? I never would have guessed that...well it was elderly ladies who owned these - maybe that does make sense! [:D] Any idea on age? I figure it can't be too old with a screw type top.

I really appreciate your help. As I said I am just trying to help out a friend - I guess she just wants to know if they have any value before she tosses them! But it has been fun and a real learning experience for me!

Thanks again and take care!
Mary

amblypygi

Reaction score
The two in the front are the oldest, probably 1890s, they aren't worth a lot although I haven't heard of the Kentucky distiller so to the right person that could be worth something. The other clear one is a common extract bottle worth $1-2. The Violin bottle is pre-1964 and might be worth $5 or so to a viobot collector, I see them sold for that occasionally around here. The prune juice is probably 1930s or 40s, again not worth a lot but it is decorative so they do sell for a few bucks sometimes. Oddly, the most valuable bottle you have is the one that's a fake! The yellow-amber eagle flask looks like an early Clevenger Brothers reproduction in a nice color, and could fetch $20 or so with the right bidders fighting over it. I wonder if Tom Haughton ever published his Clevenger book? He used to be on the forum and I've been waiting for his book to come out but haven't heard. Clevenger stuff is very common but is already selling well on ebay and will be worth more someday. I have a bunch of it in boxes in the basement [:)]

Anyway, keep in mind that these appraisals are just my uneducated guesses!

Sean

serendipity

Reaction score
Hello to everyone! Sorry for the delay in responding, I am away from my computer during the beginning of the week. Thank you all so much for your knowledge! I really appreciate your help.

Oh well it doesn't sound like these are worth too much but it sure has been fun doing the research! If she decides to sell them it may be best just to put them all on as a lot.

About the Clevenger reproduction - how are you able tell a real one from a fake? If I do put these on Ebay I want to make sure I spell this out clearly for buyers so I don't have any irate bottle collectors on my hands! [:D]

Thanks again to all and if any one else has an input please respond!

Serendipity

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: serendipity

About the Clevenger reproduction - how are you able tell a real one from a fake? If I do put these on Ebay I want to make sure I spell this out clearly for buyers so I don't have any irate bottle collectors on my hands! [:D]

Hi Serendipity,

Hard to explain exactly other than to suggest looking at as many of the originals as possible to get a feel for it. American Bottles and Flasks and Their Ancestry by McKearin and Wilson is a good resource with a series of tables depicting many of the originals in great detail, but it is by no means comprehensive. Digger O'Dell has some info about Clevenger here:

http://www.bottlebooks.com/clevenge.htm

I don't know for sure that your flask is Clevenger, it just looks like it to me. Look carefully at the base for the letters CB, many Clevenger pieces had this but it's sometimes subtle.

I would list that bottle by itself under reproductions, but do yourself a favor and concurrently list an old flask in the pre-1900/flasks category and mention the yellow Clevenger flask that you are selling in the other category... That way the serious flask collectors are more likely to see it. You can also just list it under pre-1900 but put a clear disclaimer stating that you have been told that it might be a reproduction. I would personally list it as a reproduction though, because that's a nice one and you may get a few Clevenger collectors fighting over it. I personally plan to start the bidding if I see it listed [:)]

Good luck, keep us posted!

Sean

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973