NEWEST MEMBER - VERY EXCITED

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

1VDKHQ

Reaction score
Here is the bottom of the bottle.

Sq48106.jpg

Attachments

• Sq48106.jpg
    Sq48106.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 80

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hey All, I just wanted to say that I'm ONLY 47 and have been digging for about 6 months. If any of you Youngsters would like to come dig with me; I'll show you that an "old fogey" can really move some dirt. Just try to keep up [sm=rolleyes.gif]!!! lol

Guyanaguy

Reaction score
Hi,

I've seen a handful of these bottles brought up from the Demerara River in Guyana. I have one near identical to yours sitting on my desk now (in Georgetown, Guyana, South America--old British Colony and before that Dutch), except that it's the shorter version.

It's a three piece mold bottle, but I think your mistaken on the letters SBG...I believe it says "S & G"... Definitely sometime in the middle to late 1800's

I'm not certain where the bottle originates at this point...

good luck!!!

peace

Bottleman

Reaction score
I also just posted this story in another topic tonight about your first bottle and how you got started but age has a big factor in it too. I found my first bottle when I was 10 years which was a cobalt blue Triloids poison bottle. We were moving the old smoke house which was used for smoking raw meat in. I was digging around under the foundation for marbles and what ever old I could find when I pulled out the poison. A few weeks later I went to a local antique store with my mom and saw the exact same bottle with a price tag of $20.00 on it. I was just amazed that it was worth that much at the time! Yes, I still have that bottle too! After that I began walking around the farm fields looking for dumps and talking to my dad’s friends to see if they knew of any dumps. I was lucky enough to have one right across the street to go to. At that time I just walked around and picked bottles off the surface for my collection and had no idea that all the good ones were buried. By that time I was 12 and I had a friend in middle school that collected depression glass who I eventually got hooked into bottle collecting so I had a digging partner from the start that understood exactly the bottle collecting addiction. We both pretty much learned the hobby as we went together until at a flea market when we met another “experienced†digger who was in his 30’s and had been doing it his hole life. He showed us the ropes and got us digging 1870s privies when we were only 15. By the time I was 16 I got the nerve to knock on peoples doors and try to get there permission to dig there outhouses. I am 19 right now and this is the first time I have ever told my age on this site because I have been worried that older collectors will think that I am inexperienced and just getting started in this hobby. That is not the case at all though, I have dug at uncountless dumps and dug tons of privies including about four 1850s pontiled holes. At the moment I collect pontiled squat sodas from Philadelphia, PA and local milks. Also any other nice looking bottles I find. I hope you all liked my story and I will keep you posted on all of my recent digs that turn up to be really good.

~~Tom (Bottleman12)

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
I just started not long ago also....its the perfect hobby for me because i love finding junk....i always am fascinated about the history of stupid things [:D] Like the cars i find, and a boat i found in the river, embossed bricks bottles, etc....I always wonder, how did they get this way.....Imagine the feeling of the person who bought a brand new 1952 ford custom line as they drove it off the lot.....how did it turn from that to being upside down in a ditch with no engine and bullet holes? How those 100 year old paving bricks went from being a brand new road to having a single one of those bricks in the river buried on an island.....Don't you guys ever wonder about stuff like that? I know this may sound weird, but if I had one wish, I would wish i had the power to see the history of things....just touch that 52 ford and see what really did happen that made it end up there.....anyways, i guess im just weird[sm=lol.gif]

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
Another mans junk is our treasure.....lol,..

Welcome the forum though 1VDKHQ or whatever your name is...lol,..
Lots of people from in all age brackets are diggers/Md'ers on this site,might even find afew diggers to meet up with in your area,but take and ask questions from these guys/gals on this board cause theres some dangerous spots around dumps/cellers/wells....
so good luck and be carful!

1VDKHQ

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise white lightning. I primarily find my bottles underwater since I am a scuba diver, so I don't have to many dump hazards to worry about. My name is Kevin, I didn't realize when I set up my account that 1vdkhq was going to be my screen name for the forum.

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
Scuba huh?.....,I was going to get into that myself but having asthma and also needing to be certified and then buyin the equipment would be tooo much of a hassle and costly..
but im kinda curious on what ya will find/dig outta the mud....
goood luck!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter