Newsletter from London

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mihai

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been again to Thames but I'm not pretending that was for fossils anymore. I admit, I was looking for bottles. No luck for full ones, but some necks and other pieces. However I found something interesting: about 25 clay pipes, two bottle necks with inside thread complete with hard rubber stoppers (but without the bottles themselves) and a pot or jar lid of 62mm diameter. One of stoppers have written on top "R WHITE & SONS LONDON".
Please take a look at the pictures and give me some informations about my finds. Thank you.

Mk27512.jpg

Attachments

• Mk27512.jpg
    Mk27512.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 52

Mihai

Reaction score
A picture of the necks.

Rp43827.jpg

Attachments

• Rp43827.jpg
    Rp43827.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 48

Mihai

Reaction score
And the clay pipes found today.

Wu60951.jpg

Attachments

• Wu60951.jpg
    Wu60951.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 57

swizzle

Reaction score
I can't give you to much info on what you got, but I'm guessing it was close to a tavern. Maybe a privy to close to the water that is starting to be washed out? If you found all those pipe pieces in the same spot then probe that spot and see if you hit any glass. I'm sure there's a few people here that can give you a close date on your finds. Jason

Mihai

Reaction score
Thank you, Jason.
I did found about half of pipes in the same place, some of them at a inch under surface. Once I found one I tried for more in the same area, sometimes with luck, sometimes without. Anyway I will visit that place again at a later date.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Mihai, Those stoppers date tothe late 1870s until after 1900. They were in vented in 1861 by S.A. Whitney of Glasborough, New Jersey but never gained popularity in the U>S> like they did in England. They were the Codds major rival.

Someone on this fourm was looking to purchase some of those and if you find enough of them I would be interested too.

Mihai

Reaction score
I could try to find some more but is like saying I'm trying to win the lottery this weekend. But is good to know that people are interested in these. How much would you say they worth?

capsoda

Reaction score
I don't know, I've never bought on or seen one sold. I have seen bottles sell with them ,from a few $ to big bucks but it usually depends on how rare the bottle is not the stopper.

I am sure someone will be able to give use an idea of there worth.[:)]

Mihai

Reaction score
Warren, to be honest I wouldn't like to sell the stoppers. I don't think they value a fortune but I understand that one of them will complete a nice bottle. Now I'm at my very begining in colecting bottles and the few bucks that I could fetch for them will not worth.
But maybe we can arrange an exchange. These stoppers could worth more for you then some bottles that you have in your colection. What do you think about this?

capsoda

Reaction score
Sounds good to me. My wife laughs at me about my trading habit, I'd much rather trade than buy or sell any day. What you looking for from Dixie.[:)]

Send me a PM or email.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnymanty