Not a bottle, but....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

leffertshook

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is one of my most favorite possesions. Its known as a CD1000 Glass block and dates from the mid to late 1840's. Somewhere between a deep 7-up, emerald, yellow green color. Its actually one of the very first styles of insulators to be used. The slot in the top would have been where the iron wire would have been placed, and a wood cover over that to keep the line from lifting out. This one we dug in SW virginia about 3 years ago. Got another in a light jade aqua color...Early glass, some of my favorite!

Thanks,
Richie[:)]

Qo38742.jpg

Attachments

• Qo38742.jpg
    Qo38742.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 117

Pontiled

Reaction score
Cool insulator! Where have you been digging? In the Lynchburg area? No, I really don't want to know exactly where!

My uncle owns a large piece of land near there (about 300 acres) and it was once used by Confederate forces. Down the road, the lady that used to live there had found some pontil marked medicines in her flower bed. That area has much history.

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Doc,
'Cullet', is, for want of a better word, glass "slag".The drips,dregs,broken bits,etc, from production were left near the working furnace to fuse (not melt) together.They would be thrown in the furnace for the next batch,or,melt.I believe it's an industry-related modification of "Cull",("Cull it").

KAT

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Thanks Kitty..

Makes sense with your explanation...can I say duh?[8D]

Keep on diggin' and findin' and showin'....

The Doc...[X(]

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
RE: Not a bottle, but...in reply to kat.

hi kat , got a question for you, as a kid , walking threw the woods, we find what we thought where pretty colored rocks in a stream. my father told as it was slag. would this mean there was a glass factory in the area at one time? thanks, rhona

Tandy

Reaction score
Hi rhona, it seems more likely to me that the pretty rocks you found in a stream, later to be recognised as slag, most probably point to some sort of smelting operation in the area a long time ago. If however, it looked like glass, then a glass factory comes out number one!

Cheers from South Oz,

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75