not a medicine but cool

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
http://www.rtam.com/glassworks/cgi-bin/SHOWITEM.CGI
current glass works auction lot 177
DOVE’S / XXB / RICHMOND, VA

http://www.enter.net/~glassworks/sule-jpg/177.jpg

Listed as a medicine but it was really a perfume.
http://antiquemedicines.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78&p=222&hilit=dove#p221
2nd one they have listed as a medicine.

bottle_head9

Reaction score
Nice bottle. Check out Lot 401. It`s the ink I bought with damage.He has the crack described, but not the lip chip.Also doesn`t have a picture of the chip or crack.After seeing his description of that bottle, It`s obvious he is trying to hide the damage.Again.Sorry Gunter, but buyers should be warned about this one.Don`t bid on lot 401.

B49CB6F14E0846528653C61A2B3D921A.jpg

Attachments

• B49CB6F14E0846528653C61A2B3D921A.jpg
    B49CB6F14E0846528653C61A2B3D921A.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 62

GuntherHess

Reaction score
no problem here. You might save a prospective buyer some grief.
If I was a pontilled medicine collector and I bought that dove bottle I would be dissappointed to find out it was really a perfume bottle.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Your picture DOES show a small chip with resulting crack, right? Looks pretty clear to me that's what it is. His description in the auction is: "An in manufacturing 1/4" stress crack is in the top of the lip, also a tiny spot of roughness is on the outside edge of the lip".

This bottle was returned for this damage, IIRC, so Jim has no excuses for not getting it right.

It looks pretty obvious to me that the chip and the crack are related and not "in manfacturing".

Guess I'm going to have to turn a jaundiced eye to Glass Works offerings, in light of this. I certainly would not consider that "full disclosure".

Jim G

GuntherHess

Reaction score
http://www.enter.net/~glassworks/sule-jpg/168.jpg

I see he is reselling the chipped Laird bottle they sent me. I bet it sells for much less now that they mentioned the lip chip this time.

bottle_head9

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: saratogadriver

Your picture DOES show a small chip with resulting crack, right?   Looks pretty clear to me that's what it is.   His description in the auction is:  "An in manufacturing 1/4" stress crack is in the top of the lip, also a tiny spot of roughness is on the outside edge of the lip". 

This bottle was returned for this damage, IIRC, so Jim has no excuses for not getting it right.  

It looks pretty obvious to me that the chip and the crack are related and not "in manfacturing".  

Guess I'm going to have to turn a jaundiced eye to Glass Works offerings, in light of this.   I certainly would not consider that "full disclosure".

Jim G
Yes Jim, you are correct. He reluctantly took it back.He also took away my bidder number and password.I`m no longer allowed to bid on his auctions.That bottle sure looks nice in his picture.Too bad you can`t see the other side.[8|]

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I followed your story originally, particularly since I'm an ink collector myself. I thought he mostly did the right thing for you there. But I'm calling bull on this relisting. At this point, he can't play dumb. You've called it a chip and a crack, and your photo of it is pretty convincing. I sure wouldn't accept that as a "stress crack" if I'd just plunked down 2 or 3 hundred for it. To me, it is a major ding on value. It's less than a $100 bottle with that damage IMO.

I don't think you are missing anything not being able to bid, if this is how damage is being described. Too bad really. He'll get a bad reputation pulling stuff like that.

Jim G

ORIGINAL: bottle_head9

ORIGINAL: saratogadriver

Your picture DOES show a small chip with resulting crack, right? Looks pretty clear to me that's what it is. His description in the auction is: "An in manufacturing 1/4" stress crack is in the top of the lip, also a tiny spot of roughness is on the outside edge of the lip".

Guess I'm going to have to turn a jaundiced eye to Glass Works offerings, in light of this. I certainly would not consider that "full disclosure".

Jim G
Yes Jim, you are correct. He reluctantly took it back.He also took away my bidder number and password.I`m no longer allowed to bid on his auctions.That bottle sure looks nice in his picture.Too bad you can`t see the other side.[8|]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1