Nuked or Not. Inquiring minds want to know.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: andy volkerts

So, Dont buy any of those bottles if they are SCA???

On the contrary, if it looks good with a sun tan, I buy it.. but if it's that awful deep dark purple I get hesitant..

zecritr

Reaction score
yep what cyber said lol

thye all look cool to me,nothing i would question to much anyways

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
They look fine to me. The fruit jar and darker Waw-Waw are about as dark as natural sun-coloring will allow. The Barber bottle was made in that color, sort of like the purple Mrs. Allen's Worlds Hair Restorer bottles.

treeguyfred

Reaction score
Mr 147, they all look right to me as everyone previously have said. I too have many turn of previous century bottles that are naturally that dark like the waw waw bottle. I found them near surface at dumps which explains their darkness. Often the part of the bottle that spent long years exposed to the sun will be darker than the buried part.

By the way LOL, the two color bitters ... Is NOT NUKED.... I swear!

PS, a few weeks ago, I went to Bel Aire, MD. I took the ride through Easton, PA and down 611 and saw the historic Waw Waw complex .... quite impressive.

Good topic...
Fred

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I thought maybe the Economy may have been in a light box or many years in a window if that's the original clip, it's so clean. Steve said the jars are always tinted so I don't know.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
People throw the term 'nuked' around a lot and it can be misleading.
THere are at least two different processes that can change the color of bottles.

One is UVB light irradiation. THis is exactly the process that the sun uses to change a bottle.
This will typically change a clear or aqua bottle containing manganese to a purple color.
There is no way to differentiate a bottle turned purple by the UV sun from a bottle turned by a UV lamp.
People often assume that deeper purple bottles must be done by UV lamps (and this is often the case) but given enough manganese and enough sunlight , bottles can naturally turn deep amethyst. Back before people started UV irradiating bottles deep amethyst bottles were fairly uncommon just because the odds of a bottle laying exposed in the sun for many years, undamaged, is low unless you live in a desert area.

The second process is hard nuclear radiation such is found in food packing plants. This can turn manganese containing glass a very dark amethyst (sometimes almost dark purple/cobalt looking or black) that could never be acheived by UVB light. It will also turn other chemistry glass weird colors, like green cokes to brown. Cobalt bromos to weird greens. These bottles could rightly be called "nuked".

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

People throw the term 'nuked' around a lot and it can be misleading.
THere are at least two different processes that can change the color of bottles.

One is UVB light irradiation. THis is exactly the process that the sun uses to change a bottle.
This will typically change a clear or aqua bottle containing manganese to a purple color.
There is no way to differentiate a bottle turned purple by the UV sun from a bottle turned by a UV lamp.
People often assume that deeper purple bottles must be done by UV lamps (and this is often the case) but given enough manganese and enough sunlight , bottles can naturally turn deep amethyst. Back before people started UV irradiating bottles deep amethyst bottles were fairly uncommon just because the odds of a bottle laying exposed in the sun for many years, undamaged, is low unless you live in a desert area.

The second process is hard nuclear radiation such is found in food packing plants. This can turn manganese containing glass a very dark amethyst (sometimes almost dark purple/cobalt looking or black) that could never be acheived by UVB light. It will also turn other chemistry glass weird colors, like green cokes to brown. Cobalt bromos to weird greens. These bottles could rightly be called "nuked".

Very, very well stated Matt. I was going to try and say EXACTLY the same thing.

druggistnut

Reaction score
Here is a classic, Jim.
I know for a FACT this bottle was not nuked, although many would claim it was. It went in to a purpling box and was there the same amount of time as the other bottles that went in with it. None are this dark.
It obviously had a large amount of manganese in the glass.
Now, do I try to lighten it up (I hear that you can do it in an oven?) or sell it as is?
Bill

D3F8E9CEC451439C8AD9ED84D7425E0C.jpg

Attachments

• D3F8E9CEC451439C8AD9ED84D7425E0C.jpg
    D3F8E9CEC451439C8AD9ED84D7425E0C.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 62

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member