Nuked or Not. Inquiring minds want to know.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
I consider lightboxes the same as nuking, although I'm assuming actually using the gamma ray method might get them to that super dark purple. I'm told the story about changing them back is a myth and nobody has ever shown it to work...

BillinMo

Reaction score
Some experiments with insulators have shown some reversal of colors altered with radiation, but it's not consistent or predictable.

I've linked this a few times before, but maybe some haven't seen or read it. I'm not aware of any similar experiments with bottles.

http://www.nia.org/altered/index.htm

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Now, do I try to lighten it up (I hear that you can do it in an oven?) or sell it as is?

If I collected Knoxville druggists I would have no problem at all buying that bottle an displaying in my collection. I see nothing wrong with it.

madman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: druggistnut

Here is a classic, Jim.
I know for a FACT this bottle was not nuked, although many would claim it was. It went in to a purpling box and was there the same amount of time as the other bottles that went in with it. None are this dark.
It obviously had a large amount of manganese in the glass.
Now, do I try to lighten it up (I hear that you can do it in an oven?) or sell it as is?
Bill

D3F8E9CEC451439C8AD9ED84D7425E0C.jpg
ahhhhhh not another knoxville purple bottle! i cant take it lol

madman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

If I collected Knoxville druggists I would have no problem at all buying that bottle an displaying in my collection. I see nothing wrong with it.
its a nice bottle and i do collect knoxville pharms but theres way too much purpling down here!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I guess its just a matter of taste. I probably wouldnt want my whole collection deep purple but few are fine. I like a little tint of amethyst. It tells you something about how the bottle was made.

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RIBottleguy

They look fine to me. The fruit jar and darker Waw-Waw are about as dark as natural sun-coloring will allow. The Barber bottle was made in that color, sort of like the purple Mrs. Allen's Worlds Hair Restorer bottles.
I agree the Barber's bottle is Amethyst...not even sun colored..at least that is my opinion...JAMIE

TROG

Reaction score
There are bottles (mainly sauce bottles from the Melbourne glass works) found here in Australia that are as dark coloured as the Barber Bottle and are naturally sun coloured.
ORIGINAL: RIBottleguy

They look fine to me. The fruit jar and darker Waw-Waw are about as dark as natural sun-coloring will allow. The Barber bottle was made in that color, sort of like the purple Mrs. Allen's Worlds Hair Restorer bottles.

appliedlips

Reaction score
Using heat,oven,kiln etc. will not lighten purples bottles. It will reverse colors like crappy ambers that would fade over time anyway. Trog is correct in saying some bottles produced at different glassworks will get very dark from natural Sun exposure. I know of a couple American glassworks that produced early aqua glass that will turn consistently when exposed to gamma due to naturally occurring manganese in the materials used to produce the glass.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
All glass houses mixed their batch materials differently, and I am sure the amount of manganese they put wasn't always the same and/or frome glass house to glass house. I remember one thime when I was visiting a small glass house, they were even mixing the batch materials on a dirt floor with shovels. i couldn't believe it - but there it was.
Different amounts would effect the different colors the bottle would change to. When the WW 1 stopped the source from Germany - they all had to change their batch elements sooner or later and for sure when they ran out. RED Matthews

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause