numerous bar jars

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

arthur

Reaction score
Numerous bar jars that I am cleaning shoe this label with a slightly different loop. Is this where it was molded or just another variation of the 3L

AFF79D58FC264D2E9823F97A77FD31F0.jpg

Attachments

• AFF79D58FC264D2E9823F97A77FD31F0.jpg
    AFF79D58FC264D2E9823F97A77FD31F0.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 88

coreya

Reaction score
All are variations of the 3 L jars #234 or 193 in the red book. hope this helps

cobaltbot

Reaction score
A lot of the appeal (to me) of the ball jars are the variety you get from these moulds being individually hand worked.

bobclay

Reaction score
Hi Arthur and all,

Almost all of the moulds for the 3-L type jars were hand cut so there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of slightly differing varients. It would be impossible to list them all, and even harder to try to describe/name some of them. For example we have the "Billy" MASON, the "Balle" MASON, the "Balls" MASON, the "artistic loop" types, the "lazy L" types, and the "sperm underscore" to name just a few that actually have names attached to them. One could amass a pretty neat collection of the #234 or #193 jars alone. [:)]

Bob

(edited) BTW, the first jar pictured is one called the "artistic loop", with the little upstroke that flattens out prior to starting the loop.

glass man

Reaction score
SPERM UNDERSCORE? Not being nasty,but would truly like to know what that is.

bobclay

Reaction score
The "sperm jar" or "sperm underscore" is the name assigned to a particular embossing by the NC collector that reported it first to Granny Kath many years ago. Basically, the final l isn't connected to the loop or underscore and makes the underscore and loop look like a sperm.

I've seen them in aqua and blue and here's a couple shots of a real pretty honey amber one I had:

http://balljarcollectorscommunitycenter.yuku.com/topic/1061

Bob

glass man

Reaction score
THANK YOU VERY MUCH! MAN,WHAT A GREAT AMBER JAR. I BET YOU MISS IT.

bobclay

Reaction score
Hi glassman,

For pure eye appeal, that quart was probably the prettiest I had. The amber pint was the one that just killed me when I had to sell and was one of the last to go. Here are some nice quart Balll MASON jars:

http://balljarcollectorscommunitycenter.yuku.com/topic/1060?page=1

The nearly black one in the center will most likely be coming up for auction again soon as a part of the Bettinghaus collection being dispersed by North American Glass Auctions, ie. Greg Spurgeon. The Bettinghauses bought many of my jars and it's been kinda nice seeing some "old friends" again when they come up for sale. [:)]

Bob

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR