Oct/Nov Privy dig in Upstate NY

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CazDigger

Reaction score
I don't know, I sure would like the John Mason's, but I collect Saratogas too and even though they are super common, as far as Saratogas go, I am partial to bottles I pull from the dirt myself, so I do like the Clarke & White "C".
This one is a killer pontiled snuff, too bad it is cracked....
snuff001.jpg

snuff002.jpg

snuff003.jpg

CazDigger

Reaction score
Thanks, I hope I get good picks too, but I dig with a great bunch of guys and we don't get all crazy and greedy about who got what. That being said, we all giggle like little kids when we find something good even though we are all middle aged guys - I'm the youngest at 48yrs old!

jpclute

Reaction score
Mark, Just read your story. Congrats on a great dig.
That Arnold stonie is a nice one! Keep at it!!

Roy T.

jpclute

Reaction score
Mark, one more spot to dig in my "winter reserve" spots that I covered with leaves before it really got cold. Does not probe out like a privy but I'll dig it anyways. My other winter privies, and for that matter most of my pits dug in the fall, were unproductive with only scattered pontils in them. The last keepers I found were right after Christmas from a cistern filled in about 1890, & and they were just a pint Victory fruit jar and an amber Shaker Hair restorer. Didn't see the E. Waters picture yesterday. Heck of a hard bottle to find in color. What do you think, Mark, are you going to go out and pound thru frost for more?

CazDigger

Reaction score
Nah, no digging thru the snow and frost for me this year. I'll hit again in the spring, if I don't go stir crazy before that!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello CazDigger, I took note of the fact that you are into SARATOGA bottles. I enjoyed seeing the UTICA mineral waters. I am interested in the E Waters bottles and just about all old bottles. If you have visited my homepage you may have seen the blog I posted on the Half-Leaf Mold Cavity Repair Welds. I know they did a lot of this type of repair at the Saratoga Glass Houses. I have four examples. I also just recently got acquainted with one of the bottles that has two Half-Leaf repaire where one over laps a second one. It is up near Albany so I can't get there until next summer.
Because you indicated your interest in Saratoga bottles, I had to check and see if you had seen these marks on any of them. Thanks, RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen