Odd Jug I have not been able to find out much about

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Codozalator

Reaction score
Thanks much for the membership.

It seems to me I may have posted this on this site a long time ago, but I have attached photos of a strange jug that has been in the family for decades. If anyone knows for sure what it is, how old, possible worth, etc. please feel free to comment.
There are NO markings as far as names, maker's marks, etc. Just little snake-like squiggly and fern-like figures and so on. It is made out of some sort of pottery similar to crockware, but I am not sure if it is crock or not. May be some other type of stoneware.
I heard a while back it may have been a hot water jug that people filled with hot water and carried with them on horse-drawn carriages and wagons way back in the day to keep warm.
Years back, my father and I, took this to an antique roadshow-type event they held in my area. The "experts" knew nothing about it and had no idea. My father found this in an old barn way back in the 40s. An old man he was working for gave it to him. My father is gone now, but I still have this jug. It has literally been around all my life and has always been a curiosity to everyone. Thanks for looking. I hope you find it as interesting as I do.

Attachments

• DSCN0937.JPG
    DSCN0937.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 262
  • DSCN0938.JPG
    DSCN0938.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 257
  • DSCN0939.JPG
    DSCN0939.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 237
  • DSCN0940.JPG
    DSCN0940.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 228
  • DSCN0941.JPG
    DSCN0941.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 250

Codozalator

Reaction score
That's a good point. Yes...it is indeed fragile for carrying on a wagon as a warmer of some sort.
I was also told it may have been a ceremonial wedding jug. The larger spout for the groom and the smaller for the bride. I don't know. I have never found anything definitive about it...just conjecture.
And why the football shape?. Odd indeed.
I mean I have had this thing all over the place and no one...I mean NO ONE...knows jack about it!. Dangdest thing I ever saw. Even in this age of internet...nothing?. No one in the known Universe has any idea what this is or what dimension it came from.

Last edited:

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
That's a good point. Yes...it is indeed fragile for carrying on a wagon as a warmer of some sort.
I was also told it may have been a ceremonial wedding jug. The larger spout for the groom and the smaller for the bride. I don't know. I have never found anything definitive about it...just conjecture.
And why the football shape?. Odd indeed.
I mean I have had this thing all over the place and no one...I mean NO ONE...knows jack about it!. Dangdest thing I ever saw. Even in this age of internet...nothing?. No one in the known Universe has any idea what this is or what dimension it came from.
Indian wedding vase I am thinking. I have a harvest jug that has the same bisque matte finish. Your is obviously much more ornate. I love it!
ROBBYBOBBY64.
20200611_165105.jpg

Last edited:

Codozalator

Reaction score
Wow...that's cool. It is the most similar thing I have seen thus far. How old is it?.
By Indian do you mean American or India?. American Indian?. You mean they made stuff as ornate and detailed as this?. I did not know that. All I have ever seen from Indian artifacts are stone arrowheads and so forth. Or do you mean from India?. If so, that would be a mystery as to why it would be in an old rural Pennsylvania barn.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Wow...that's cool. It is the most similar thing I have seen thus far. How old is it?.
By Indian do you mean American or India?. American Indian?. You mean they made stuff as ornate and detailed as this?. I did not know that. All I have ever seen from Indian artifacts are stone arrowheads and so forth. Or do you mean from India?. If so, that would be a mystery as to why it would be in an old rural Pennsylvania barn.
I do mean American Navajo indian. Your has a handle I have seen used but it is not your typical wedding vase shape though and that is what bothers me about my identification. I have see some but none the football shape your is. Also indian wedding vase are usually colorful. Could it be amish in origin? It sure is a beautiful mystery. I put a couple of my friend on the hunt for any information they can find. They have been very good in the past. Who knows. I really want to help you solve this.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Codozalator

Reaction score
Thanks much. It's fun trying to figure out, huh?.
I hail from southwestern Pa. near the Mason-Dixon line. The area is typical Appalachia and was settled by Scots-Irish and German settlers, so it could be related to Amish.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Thanks much. It's fun trying to figure out, huh?.
I hail from southwestern Pa. near the Mason-Dixon line. The area is typical Appalachia and was settled by Scots-Irish and German settlers, so it could be related to Amish.
First friend does not know. Only one strike I am not out yet! Have more experts trying to identify as we text. It could take a while for this person to get back to me. I will let you know what they come up with. I told them the wagon water vessel hypothesis. Southwestern PA. Is that where this barn is located? How much does the jug weigh? Is the item stoneware. It would be a light to dark grey or chocolate brown in color. Also are there any marking anywhere on it?
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Codozalator

Reaction score
Yes, southern Pa. is where the barn is...it's still there.
I just measured it for the first time...interesting...it is 13 inches from tip to tip across the "football" and 13 inches tall from base to top of handle. Very close anyway.
It weighs 4 pounds 8 ounces.

No markings at all when it comes to names, maker's marks, and so on.

It just has those neat little snakes and frowns all over it.

It's white and it looks to me to be made out of clay or a terra cotta material more than stoneware or crock. The funny swirls and dots all over it are strange. Do they have meaning or are they just abstract decoration?. It looks Meso-American or Pre-Columbian or from some other ancient civilization. The big spout side has different decoration than the little spout side. Meaning?. Two frowns parallel on the little spout and one large diagonal frown on the larger spout. Are those squiggles represent snakes?. Looks like it but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• DSCN0944.JPG
    DSCN0944.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 221
  • DSCN0947.JPG
    DSCN0947.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 228
  • DSCN0948.JPG
    DSCN0948.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Members online