Odds and ends from the dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deepwoods

Reaction score
Here's the stuff from the other day's dig. First one one the far left is a small (5 1/2") mini Coca Cola Bottling Works Rochester (in slug plate) Grape Ade (in banner) that I'd never seen before; in the middle is a transferware ginger beer Akron Gingerbeer Co.; on the far right is another one I'd never seen, a ladies leg cure marked The Fitch Dandruff Cure Co.; in the foreground is one of a number of gold lettered (each with a different persons name) pomade jars wth lids; on top of the jar is a very unusual peppermint stripe, slag glass insulator? (at least I think thats what it is); last but not least, a little kingfisher salt shaker (interestingly one of my favorite birds). Any info on the cure and "insulator" would be appreciated. Sorry for the lousy pic. Gonna be goin back to the site soon. Cheers.

[img=http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/6694/john2fx8.th.jpg]

Bixel

Reaction score
The "insulator" isnt acctually an insulator, although alot of people thinks thats what these are, and I can see why. It is acctually an ashtray out of a 1930s ( possibly 20s) Ford vehicle. You see these on Ebay listed as insulators. They normally sell from between 35-90 dollars, depending on colours.

Jim

Reaction score
Nice stuff, JD. The kingfisher shaker is cool. I found an English sparrow (house sparrow) salt shaker a few months ago. It's unfortunately not colored, just white glazed. Very well-detailed, though. I have seen a few Fitch bottles, but that dandruff cure is a new one to me. ~Jim

capsoda

Reaction score
Nice finds John. Those ash trays were sold by after market stores like Sears & RoeBuck. People do pay good money for them on the bacis that they came from Ford. Ford bult Model Ts only and they were no frills cars. No options, No ash tray. The competition had ash trays as an option.

deepwoods

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. So thats an ashtray; well I'll be dipped in s..omething.! I wouldnt have guessed that in a million years. There's a bunch of those pomade jars with lids in there all in the same general area, obviously dumped en masse and other older stuff mixed in with newer. Last year I hit a one older pocket where I got a couple of bitters, a couple of Saratogas and some pontils about thirty feet from where Im digging now. I've also gotten a few decent poisons outa' here. But its very hit and miss. I'll keep ya posted.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey