Ohio Milk Bottle Question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Higsmog

Reaction score
Read with great interest some of the comments about the Ohio Milk Bottle Book. For one this book is the copyright property of the Ohio Bottle Club out of Akron Ohio, not mine to be peddling it as you put it. Let me explain how this book came about....The Ohio Bottle Club-not me-decided it was time to split the Milk bottles off into there own edition and the prices needed updated (this I was told was last done over 20 years ago). With the newer editions of The Ohio Bottle Club Bottle books only new entries were added- no pricing updates were done. For over two years before 2005 the Ohio Bottle Club has requested someone come forward and update prices and design the cover for an all new book. Well, as usual no one wanted to do this, just the same old griping, whining and complaining that it needed done. Well, in 2005 while I was home on a five month recovery from heart surgery (bored out of my mind) I told Don Duzro that I would at least get the thing rolling for them. One thing led to another and 13 hours of work later I had gone through the entire book of over 6,500 entries. Never mind that the prices I know are not to everyone's liking, but they are a hell of a lot better than before, and we were on a deadline to get this done before the May 2005 Mansfield Bottle Show. And by deadline we were down to days not weeks or months for the printing part to be done. After the pricing the person that was to make the cover was unable to finish that job for medical reasons so I took a stab at that part of the project also. Two weeks further into the project and over $180 of my own money later (that's $180 out of my own pocket that I donated to the Ohio Bottle Club) we had a finished book that sold over 300 copies at Mansfield thtat first year I am told.[/align] Now for the life of me I cannot figure out why so many people want to complain and whine about pricing if they did nothing to help this project along the way (remembering that for two years the Ohio Bottle Club wanted someone to take this on and even advertised this in there monthly newsletter and got no response). For one thing bottle collectors are not the only people that bought this book. The milk bottle book was also offered to all the 88 County Libraries and to antique dealers throughout the State. So do you really want antique dealers pricing milk bottles at $350 for us collectors? I don't think so! Believe me I have already seen it as a direct result of this book. This book is an attempt to preserve some of the history of milk bottles in Ohio, so don't get so hung up on pricing. This is a hobby not a life or death struggle. I have seen so many of the older collectors die off and loose the complete knowledge that they had stored only in there heads about Ohio milks and for the most part it made me sick! People like Leland Frazier and Russ Watkins-gone with all that knowledge, gone forever-they left nothing behind for the rest of us! So to those of you who want to whine and complain without putting anything into the system-get a life! If you think pricing is so important please send additions and corrections to the address on the inside of the milk bottle book to be included in hopefully the next addition. I have volunteered to go anywhere in the State and help people with additions for this book out of there own collections and have gotten no response. And the part about the Wiseman amber milk bottle being rare-they are-and over the years I have had no less than five of them myself:) Furthermore the discussion about the criptic secret masonic coding in the pricing-come on! But if say the prices backwards you can clearly hear "Paul is dead...Paul is dead...Paul is dead".[/align]Thank You[/align] [/align]Parker Higby[/align] [/align]<Reformatted and addresses removed - Admin>[/align]

Humabdos

Reaction score
Greenville Texas The Blackest land whitest people
Hi Parker,

I don't collect Ohio milk's but did end up with this half pint from Lucasville O.
On the heel it says sealed 1-11-14 On the bottom there's an S 7 45

I think this dairy was owned by a distant relative of mine.
Is this listed in the ohio milk book? Any info would be appreciated
Glen[/align]

01F5B3B3B1FF44D1B87A607FC4722AE4.jpg

Attachments

• 01F5B3B3B1FF44D1B87A607FC4722AE4.jpg
    01F5B3B3B1FF44D1B87A607FC4722AE4.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 63

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
I'll make this short and sweet. A deadline and a shortage of manpower is no reason to print an inaccurrate book. You should be ashamed of that book, deadline or no deadline. I will say this....it's great for cheating little old ladies, novice collectors, and diggers out of their treasures!!!!

craigc90

Reaction score
Higsmog
What was your scientific method of priceing update. Let me see I have that bottle make it $20.00 to $25.00 I dont have that bottle yet lets make it $10.00 to $15.00. That will work no one will ever figure it out. [:D]

craigc90

Reaction score
I know that may sound a little harsh I am sure no one wanted to take the time to tackle a job like that but a little closer to reality would be nice.

Higsmog

Reaction score
Glen: Yes this bottle is listed in the Ohio Milk bottle book-I have a 1/2 pt. and a qt. of this bottle in my own collection-Lucasville is one of the towns I collect and it's not a real common bottle.
Parker

Higsmog

Reaction score
You people are really unbelievable! Same old don't do nothing but whiney crowd-has anyone started there updated list from there part of the State to make the next edition more accurate?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter