Ok! Don't laugh at me!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rcn72679

Reaction score
I finally went explorin' on our 140 acres & didn't even begin to scratch the surface. I didn't dig, didn't check out the old barns or the spot where an old house used to be where there's still some of the foundation left. I found these at a place where someone used to burn their trash in the woods. I'm sure they're nothin', but it was still cool. I'll just have to post a link to my photobucket cuz I've tried twice now to post all 10 pics & it gives me an error. So anyways, the 1st pic, b10, says "Genuine Phillips" on it & still has some nasty milk of mag in it that's clumped up into a paste. The 2nd pic looks like a dish soap bottle as does the 3rd pic...LOL! The bottle in the 4th pic says "Log Cabin Syrup" on the bottom & has a pic of a log cabin on the base as well. The bottle in the 5th pic just looks like a ketchup bottle. The bottle in the 6th has an interesting base. Part of the circle from the suction is indented. I should take a pic, but it's late & I'm lazy..LOL! It looks like a parison mold. The bottle in the 7th pic says "Ball" on the base. Didn't they do Mason Jars? Anyways, probably just a vinegar bottle or somethin'. The jar in the 8th pic is a Nestle's jar, but the lid was too rusted out & just crumbled. The suction on the base is so off though, that the circle runs up into the body. The jar in the 9th pic has two perfectly rounded, indented circles on either side of the base. The jar in the last pic still has the plastic push-up thingy for the deodorant, but I broke it[:mad:] Sorry if I bored you...LOL! It was so fun though! Any & all info is more than welcome!

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/rcn72679/Bottles/

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi renee, looks like you got a good start. you could dig deeper in the burn area to see if you can find some older bottles. also look for low area, stream or ditch close to the old foundation where they may have dump thier trash. good luck, rhona

rcn72679

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Trying not to break it

hi renee, looks like you got a good start. you could dig deeper in the burn area to see if you can find some older bottles. also look for low area, stream or ditch close to the old foundation where they may have dump thier trash. good luck, rhona

Good idea! There is a creek near the old house. We do have a few creeks on our property. Lots of ditches & low areas. Man I have alot to do...LOL! I just can't wait! I can't wait to dig into the area I was in tonight too. I've got to get over my fear of spiders though cuz GOOD GOD they were everywhere[:eek:] I'm glad I was alone cuz I was such a girl...LOL!

capsoda

Reaction score
It's mostly newer stuff from the 1940s thru 1960s. Love the Landers though. Haven't seen on in years. Like Rhona said, dig deeper and check out everything you can think of.

You checked out the BLM site I see.[:)]

madman

Reaction score
hey rcn how old is the property?? and old foundation, those bottles youve found date to the 40s 50s but there may be older bottles below or and older dump look for broken glass on the surface cork tops mike

rcn72679

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: capsoda
You checked out the BLM site I see.[:)]

No I've known this stuff for years
lost.gif
Yeah right...LOL! Yes I've been readin' as much as I can. I haven't looked into bottle clubs too much, but there's none listed in the yellow pages.

From what we know, our place is about 100 years old. We know of the family that owned it before us, but prior to that, we're gonna have to ask.

capsoda

Reaction score
HA!HA!HA! The BLM site is a great resorce. It can cause mental time loss and sleep depravation. LoL

It's always good to learn as much as possible about a dig site. Try your areas historical society, they may have a web site.

Don't worry to much about pontils. The ones you want to find will be pretty obvious. It takes alot of time and alot of bottle handleing to recognize some of them.

rcn72679

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: capsoda

HA!HA!HA! The BLM site is a great resorce. It can cause mental time loss and sleep depravation. LoL

Oh so true...LOL! I was up until 12:30 last night & was up at 5:45 for the day with my 7 month old who decided she was ready to get up...LOL! I'm hurtin' today, but alas, I'm still goin' bottle huntin' again tonight...LOL! My name is Renee, & I'm addicted to bottles...LOL!

subsoil

Reaction score
Cool finds!!! I suggest picking up a spring steel probe, they are invaluable not only for privies, but seeking out areas of what I call "Crunchies" - Ash & dump layers that are noticeable when probed by noise or feel. You may even have some privies out there! Some of your modern dumps may have been used earlier in the settlement and some older stuff could be hiding under there. I recently dug a rural farm dump clean using the probe/scratching method, I was able to clean it out because it didn't go that deep. Sometimes they alternated dumping spots and probing farther away from the obvious debris could lead you into whole new sections.

Good luck!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm thinking it might be an old logging camp or dump. I poked around a lot of those in New England. Never found much though. How old do the trees look? Any car chasis? I see a lot of those near what I'm thinking of.
The lid on that deoderant is nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter