Old or new??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Here is a shot of yesterdays gem lol this one cost a whole dollar! I dont know what you would call it! It looks like a mini pitcher... very crude, has a pontil, a good bit of base wear and is brownish green with a hint of amethyst...any input? probally mexican? Taz[8|]

Kh17850.jpg

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Very funny!! Nice reply Rich, that made me chuckle! You mean I wont retire of this rare stoddard piece? lol Well off to the flea market for that specimen....[:D] Taz

Monsonant

Reaction score
Taz .... Rich is on the right trail .. its gotta be an off hand item and I think your right about it being Mexican .... for a buck ya cant go wrong !!
The wear on the bottom is worth commenting on. It has that snowy white (lets make it look old ) look , with course rough scratches . Old wear is most always very fine and smooth , without deep scratches . Here is something that anyone who has not tried it , should do. Take a junk bottle and artificially put some wear on the bottom and then take a good look at it and compare it with something that has natural wear . Its a great way to learn how to spot fakes. A little 10x -100x loupe is a good thing to carry with you all the time for checking out wear . I have, however, seen wear artificially applied that is pretty near impossible to tell from old natural wear. This is usually done by rubbing the item on a wooden surface. It does not take to long to produce what at first glance looks like the real deal. Try this on different items using different methods and soon you will be able to spot faked wear most of the time. d.e.a.

KentOhio

Reaction score
I'm thinking it was a college art project.

bearswede

Reaction score
Taz...

How was it that I thought you had "taste"? It must have been those photos of your wonderful flask collection... Now this?

Just kidding, buddy...

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Ron can you say glassaholic! O my where should I start..... lol ...I wonder what Santa might bring for christmas.. [8|] Taz[8D]

Zx70837.jpg

Attachments

• Zx70837.jpg
    Zx70837.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 78

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member