Old pharmacy bottle with label and contents What is the legality?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
I have a nice old apothecary with contents I would like to sell on eBay, the bottle contains pure powdered yellow jasmine root... it is poison and is a alkoloid like belladonna. I know there are collectors who would like this type of thing but I dont want it falling into some kids hands looking for a trip!! and possibly death.... anyone have any ideas? Also how can you ship it? USPS?

Xv65053.jpg

Attachments

• Xv65053.jpg
    Xv65053.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 141

David E Dearden

Reaction score
I would make some phone calls on that one, maybe FDA. I am sure they would tell you to dispose of it in a safe maner, And don't get any on yourself, I would bet that is is way more powerful with age, Myself I would get rid of it, but if you did ship and sell it, I would think the buyer should sign a disclaimer resolving you of any libility.
[X(][X(]

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Please don't send me any of that stuff.

Yellow Jessamine
Gelsemium sempervirens (L.) Ait. (Loganiaceae)
Common Names
Yellow jessamine, Carolina jessamine, evening trumpet flower, false jasmine, false jessamine, gelsemium, jasmine, wild jasmine, wild jessamine, woodbine, yellow jasmine root.

Description
A perennial vine with horizontal, branched, cylindrical rootstock. Leaves are short-stalked, lanceolate, aromatic, and evergreen, with smooth margins. Flowers are showy, fragrant, and tubular.

Flowering Period
March to May.

Habitat
Thickets, roadsides, fence rows, dry and damp woods, and sandy areas.

Harvest
Roots and rhizomes just after flowering in fall.

Uses
This is a very poisonous plant. Preparations made from the roots and rhizomes have been used as central nervous-system depressants, febrifuge, anodyne, and antispasmodic.

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Roger that was funny! But they probally would not let me dig bottles when in JAIL haha !!! Dave you are right it being bad stuff..... If I did dispose of it I would put on a mask and rubber gloves..... I didnt want to "dump it out" lest there be a collector for that kind of thing though... I guess there are always risk's involved in any hobby , I know around here I get grubbing in the old farm dumps and come up with bottles with original contents, triangular poisons, and even olives!! amazing after being buried 100 years they still look edible lol[:'(] Mercury and lead is another concern of mine many of the old dumps contain numerous rotted drycell batterys ( no power in the country like the city) this stuff can get on your skin possibly absorbed or ingested by smoking or eating.... I guess a little common sense goes a long way! Thanks for the reply's guys Quess I will sit back now and ponder the universe with my Gelsmium! [8|] Taz

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter