Oldest ACL Royal Crown Cola Bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. Also notice the different shapes of the bottles. Some appear wider than others and have slightly different shoulder heights. But I believe all of them are 12 ounce.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Note of interest ... When I first subscribed to the newspaper archives about two months ago it showed a total number of pages at 65+ million. The count goes up daily and it now has 70+ million pages. And just overnight the count for Royal Crown Cola increased from 95,959 yesterday to 96,131 this morning - but it doesn't indicate what newspapers they are from.

squirtbob

Reaction score
Perhaps this picture will help with regards to dating Glenshaw bottles. I found three bottles together and all share similar characteristics. They are all green with a small embossed ring around the neck. All say " Min. Conts 6-FL-OZ. Property of Nehi Bottling Co." (all embossed near the base of the bottle) Two are Glenshaw bottles and are both Upper 10. The third bottle has all the acl rubbed off. It is definitely an Owens Illinois bottle and clearly dates to 1936. The attached pictures shows the neck of both Glenshaw bottles . hopefully you can see the "G 1" ...so I'm guessing that stands for 1935 and perhaps the 1 indicates this as the first year that they used this dating method.

Attachments

• 0cf1b82ea8ca42168a008750c471d10f.jpg
    0cf1b82ea8ca42168a008750c471d10f.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 131

squirtbob

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
grime5 / Greg: Thanks for the info about your bottle. It sounds like a 1938 but I'm not sure about the G for 1935. Member squirtbob and I participated in a thread about a year ago involving Glenshaw Glass codes in which squirtbob discovered several double-letter codes on the lips of some of his Squirt bottles. If I remember correctly, I don't believe we ever figured out why some bottles have the double-letters other than the earlier code might indicate when a particular bottle was first introduced and the later code being when it was actually produced. ???
The earliest Glenshaw bottle I have found for a squirt had a "K" on the lip for 1939. Perhaps a "J" exists but I've never seen one. All of the Glenshaw bottles have a number on the opposite side of the Letter code, but the number appears to have nothing to do with the date.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I purchased this Royal Crown bottle on eBay this morning for $12.98. It wasn't dated but because ... 1. It is clear glass2. Has a pointed pyramid3. Is a non ACL ... I'm hoping it's a super early one from 1934 or 1935. I will tell you more about it after it arrives in about a week.

Attachments

• ada2bb6a09b14cc1adfaf346fcdebef6.jpg
    ada2bb6a09b14cc1adfaf346fcdebef6.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 125

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Squirtbob:

Thanks for the info on your Glenshaw bottles. Do you have any insights as to why they would put two letters on the lip? The letter/number combos almost make sense, but two different letters indicating two totally different dates has me baffled.

Speaking of baffled, I thought I knew a thing or two about Laurens Glass Works marks. But as it turns out, I can't recall when it was they used the LGW mark without numbers on either side to indicate a date? For example; I know that 3LGW9 stands for 1939. But how do you date a LGW bottle without the numbers? And was the solo LGW first or did it come later? The reason I ask is because the RC bottle I purchased this morning has LGW on the base but no numbers. If anyone has the answer to my LGW quandary, please let me know.

Here's a picture of the base with ...

LGW

Note:
Based on what I've learned about RC bottles recently, I'm pretty sure this particular bottle is pre-1939, but I'm not 100% sure about that, either. It has Nehi Bottling on the heel.

Attachments

• 9d49ec3d25524ba5ac3944f14475afd4.jpg
    9d49ec3d25524ba5ac3944f14475afd4.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 118

dbv1919

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB- I've got a question for you. I have one royal crown bottle I can't seem to date. It's the first bottle that got me into collecting when I was helping out at the old general store my grandmother worked at. It came in with some cases of new bottles in the late 70's and had been refilled and had a new cap but it was an older bottle. Anyway its an ACL bottle with the small rc and pyamids, the neck has royal crown yellow ACL. I'm sure its post 1939(sorry no pic computer whiz daughter gone this weekend.) The bottle is a completely clear Ball. The Ball on the bottom is slanted upwards to the right just like on mason jars. I'm guessing 1945. Can't seem to find the date any idea? The bottom is a follows... 33 - 12 Ball 5 l E

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
dbv: If you solve my mystery, I'll solve yours! (Lol) [:D] (Just kidding). The truth is, I'm not familiar with Ball bottles, especially Ball soda bottles, which I believe are far and few between. The 5 might be for 1945, but I'm really not sure. Perhaps the answer can be found on this website, which I only thumbed through but saw some potential clues. Please let us know if you find anything ... http://www.glassbottlemarks.com/ball-perfect-mason-jars/

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The only thing I've discovered about LGW marks so far is they started using date numbers in 1919. But I still don't know when they stopped using date numbers.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Okay, now I'm really confused! I did a quick search on eBay using the heading "LGW Soda Bottle" and found several examples of 1940s and 1950s bottles with marks such as 4LGW5 (1945) and 5LGW7 (1957). So if Laurens Glass Works continued the number/letter codes well into the 1950s, then how do we explain my RC bottle with no numbers? (Except, of course, the number 2, which I'm not sure about).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen