One of our nation's most historic dumps

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
Fresh Kills Dump

Opening in 1947, it is the largest landfill in the world, and holds about a third of the rubble and remains of the World Trade Center. A lot of people are unhappy of the fact that this is the final resting place of their loved ones. I think we as dump diggers look at dumps with a different perspective, even if they are newer. Dumps (and privies) hold an incredible amount of history and a look into the past, that is the reason most of us dig them. May all victims who lost their lives on that day rest in peace, no matter where their remains lay.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
I have driven by it 5 or 6 times in the last three years on my way to Central Long Island.I knew the history behind it never reflected on it until today.
Thanks for reminding us.

ktbi

Reaction score
I know they distributed the beams and scrap metal all over the U.S. for various projects and memorials, but never really thought about the rest of the rubble and the fact that it almost certainly contains minimal remains of those lost in the tower attack. Digging in a site like that (years from now) would be like digging in an old Sacred Indian Burial site. Is the dump site still used today or was this like an old dump site they opened specially for the Trade Center remains?Like I mentioned, it's not something I had even thought about before, or heard much about really......Thanks for bringing it up. Got me thinking about it....Ron

Penn Digger

Reaction score
I had driven by Fresh Kills many times when I lived in NYC and would go out to Staten Island, never saw so many sea gulls. It actually closed earlier in 2001 and was opened back up temporarily to help with the Trade Center debris disposal.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4