Who made this case gin?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Picked up this nice case gin but can't find anything online about the company. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• DusseldorpGin.jpg
    DusseldorpGin.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 64
  • DusseldorpAppliedLip.jpg
    DusseldorpAppliedLip.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Wow, this is a tough one to research. Rotterdam is in the Netherlands so it is certainly a Dutch gin bottle. However, I could find no info on an A. Van Dusseldorp(?) CG. Weird that it's "Dusseldorp" instead of "Dusseldorf". Maybe it's Dusseldor PCG? Either way, that gin has a beautiful applied top. Gins like that (even from Europe in my experience) dates between 1870 and 1910 or so. The top is like the hostetters so I'm fairly sure that's the age. The older ones (1850-1880) will have a flared lip. I'm not super experienced with case gins so I'm sure someone else will have a slightly different opinion. Very cool bottle nonetheless!!!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score

Hezezilla

Reaction score
There's some information about the company here (in Dutch): https://www.deoudeflesch.nl/wp-cont...ters-op-cachets-van-Nederlandse-flessen-1.pdf I didn't type it out into Google Translate but it looks like the company made gin from 1841-1919.

Another one of their bottles is shown here: https://www.deoudeflesch.nl/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Kelderflessen-met-vogels-in-cachet.pdf
Hmm, I guess it was van Dusseldorf. I guess the P was just an engraving error. Excellent job Canadian for finding this out.

timeandabottle

Reaction score
There's some information about the company here (in Dutch): https://www.deoudeflesch.nl/wp-cont...ters-op-cachets-van-Nederlandse-flessen-1.pdf I didn't type it out into Google Translate but it looks like the company made gin from 1841-1919.

Another one of their bottles is shown here: https://www.deoudeflesch.nl/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Kelderflessen-met-vogels-in-cachet.pdf
You are a fantastic researcher and a great person for helping people out like you do. If you're ever in Utah, I'd love to meet ya!

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the replies and research, I appreciate the information. This bottle was found in the West Kootenay area of British Columbia at an old unknown mine site, not sure exactly where. There was sporadic transient activity in the area related to mining in the 1870s but settlement occurred later.

I found the company name on Gin-Bottles.com under embossed lettered seals but it was in partnership with VLAARDINGEN, not solo. See pictures below. I suspect this bottles was very late after the business partnership ended given the later design and the solo business venture.

Wondering what CGz stands for, it must be a business related designation. Also interested in any other examples of this bottle if anyone has one.

Thanks

Attachments

• AVD2.PNG
    AVD2.PNG
    676.3 KB · Views: 13
  • AVD.PNG
    AVD.PNG
    611.1 KB · Views: 13

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
You are a fantastic researcher and a great person for helping people out like you do. If you're ever in Utah, I'd love to meet ya!
Thanks, I really appreciate that! Never been anywhere near Utah before but I'd love to see that area one of these days.

By the way, my research technique is pretty simple, I just try slight variations of the name with quotation marks in different places. For posts on here I don't dive any deeper than the results which come up on Google, although I'm familiar with more serious, time-consuming research as well.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Hmm, I guess it was van Dusseldorf. I guess the P was just an engraving error. Excellent job Canadian for finding this out.
The page I linked goes back and forth between both spellings, so I'm pretty sure it was Dusseldorp but that author got confused about it as well. Unless there's some reason that both spellings could be correct? I'm not familiar enough with Dutch to know.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the replies and research, I appreciate the information. This bottle was found in the West Kootenay area of British Columbia at an old unknown mine site, not sure exactly where. There was sporadic transient activity in the area related to mining in the 1870s but settlement occurred later.

I found the company name on Gin-Bottles.com under embossed lettered seals but it was in partnership with VLAARDINGEN, not solo. See pictures below. I suspect this bottles was very late after the business partnership ended given the later design and the solo business venture.

Wondering what CGz stands for, it must be a business related designation. Also interested in any other examples of this bottle if anyone has one.

Thanks
Vlaardingen is a city, not a person. It's a suburb of Rotterdam. It's possible that the company moved to the central city later in its life, or maybe they decided to emboss the name of the city which people outside of Holland would recognize rather than the city where they were technically located.

I haven't been able to find out what CGz stands for, I assumed it was some sort of corporate structure but it doesn't seem like the designation is currently in use, if that's what it was.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem