One of the most rare bottles from HAWAII !!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Jkeeney,
By 'gravitator', they mean that it was a gravitational stoppered bottle. There was an internal stopper that sealed the bottle along the neck. Typically, the bottom is heavily embossed from Matthews, Albertsons, or Roorbach. They are interesting bottles used in the 1860s through the early 80s. Around then, most bottlers switched to hutchinson-style soda bottles.

jkeeney

Reaction score
Would I know it was a gravitator from looking at something in that picture above such as the curve at the neck or something else? Thanks for your reply.

Lordbud

Reaction score
I second that; Bill Lindsey's sight is required reading, very informative, well laid out, and loads of information.

jkeeney

Reaction score
Yes, a lot of good information at that site. I have been to that site probably 60 times and did not even think about going there to research gravitator. Just googled gravitator and not much came up.

Thanks for the reminder.

Another good site for North American beers and sodas is http://www.sodasandbeers.com/index.html

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello, I have to tell you people how impressed I was when I first found Bill Lindsey's pages. I used over two reams of paper and a few ink cartridges to print out the whole thing. I put it in three ring binders and put "post-it notes" on the special subjects so they became easy tabs for references and further studies. These notebooks even migrated with me from FL to NY each year for about three years. That is how fantastic it was in my world of bottle interest. Thank you Bill for doing such a fantastic thing for us.
It is also worth noting, that this man has retired - but not really because he still maintains and adds to this fantastic collection of knowledge that isn't in that many other places.
RED Matthews

VA is for Diggers

Reaction score
I like the bottle; I actually dug a hawaii liscence plate in virginia from the 30's, w/o year. Made me research the history prior to the statehood; quite interesting. I wonder how many dump sites exist on such a small surface of land?

jkeeney

Reaction score
There are no old dumps, until 1983, everything was recycled in the volcano.

Lordbud

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jkeeney

There are no old dumps, until 1983, everything was recycled in the volcano.

[8D][:-][:D]All the bottles you find embossed "H.I." or "H.T." or "T.H." whatever...or "Hawaii" are obviously counterfeit...[8|]blown in Mexico
during the 1970s!

BarbaraInCalif

Reaction score
Back to the question of how to ID a bottle with a gravitational stopper: even after reading the descriptions on SHA, the only difference I can see is the slope of the shoulders as jkeeney mentioned. Is the lip different too?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday