One of the rarest historical political bottles known.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I suspect that neither of these will go as high as they rightfully should, either this log cabin nor the related tippecanoe barrel that he also has. He has this listed under flasks, and only has the barrel listed under inkwells. Both should probably have a listing in ink bottles as well. I wouldn't have even seen them myself without the forum, because I don't usually look at inkwells anymore.

Jim G

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

Is it my eyes, flash glare or something. I see yellowing at the lip like a glue line, probably my eyes. Did the other one you mention have that lip? It looks a bit late for the campaign or even a pontil era.
Just my unknowing thought's.

The top looks like an 1890s drug store or medicine tooled lip, not sheared and flared. Just don't look right, coupled with that yellow you mentioned. The bottle itself however, looks like the same mold as the catalog covergirl in the infamous Watt White auction, just a little overblown. The White example hammered at 13,500.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Here's the auction catalog on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VACPS4/?tag=shoolp-20

Here's picture of one that sold for $7K on Bottlebooks.com
http://www.bottlebooks.com/Blog/campaign_bottles.htm

There's some similarities and some differences. The meeting of the roof and neck look different on Diggers site than the ebay and it looks a little wider to me also. Two molds? It would be nice to get a close personal visual of all three together.

Fascinating subject.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: saratogadriver

I suspect that neither of these will go as high as they rightfully should, either this log cabin nor the related tippecanoe barrel that he also has. He has this listed under flasks, and only has the barrel listed under inkwells. Both should probably have a listing in ink bottles as well. I wouldn't have even seen them myself without the forum, because I don't usually look at inkwells anymore.

Jim G
Correct on the barrel shaped ink bottle Jim,but it may still shoot up and surprise you. The cabin bottle regardless if it is an ink or small decater it is very rare less then 10 known or ever seen at auction. I found both items by searching for William Henry Harrison memorabilia. The plates I posted from my personal collection are in themselves quite rare if you search for them on the net you will only find a handful in museums and college universities display cases.The Harrison campaign was one of the first to blitz the market with tokens of campaign slogans. The Paper Ephemera seems to be a lot more prevalent and quite available. These glass objects are for the most part rare as hens teeth.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
I often wondered how the Mckearins attributed the two existing mostly olive green GVII-1 and GVII-2 flasks to the Mt Vernon Glass works. Were there ever any shards or documented evidence other then colors that made the determination. I am sure there was sound reasoning and it may also have been the fact as is the case with the two current glass items listed that they were all found in New York State. It also makes sense why the Mckearin Listed flasks were made in New York State ( all of the bottles seem to be turning up there) and the colors are of the exact type found at Mt Vernon. The cup plates attribution to the Union Glass Works in Kensington is based on a couple of facts,first the ones that have been documented as to where they were found ( were found in the Philadelphia Area ) and additionally the few that were located were in collections mostly in the Philadelphia area. ( The Philadelphia and Boston markets ) because of the larger populations seems a good choice to have been manufacturing these glass items . Maybe the cabin bottle and ink listed although smaller then their counterpart historic flasks was made at the same mold shop in the New England area and blown at Sandwich or the New England Glass works,or maybe yet was it possible that they too was made at Mt Vernon.

Here are a couple of links explaining the importance of Harrison and how he and his armies stand in Northern Ohio helped preserve the nation.
More credit should be paid to Harrison's importance in the survival of our country.

http://www.fortmeigs.org/
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wcarr1/Lossing2/Chap23.html

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I often wondered how the Mckearins attributed the two existing mostly olive green GVII-1 and GVII-2 flasks to the Mt Vernon Glass works.
I'm not sure they did Steve. Even in 1941 the bibliography was extensive but as accurate as could be for the time. By 1978 I just think they compiled info for flasks and made it into one book. Yes, they did extend some but not as much as you might think.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I figured out how to ask a Q (I never really bothered before). Why ebay removed the "contact member" from the page view, I don't know.
Anyway, I asked about the yellowing I see, I'll wait and see about a response. It's probably just me, my monitor or camera weirdness but it doesn't hurt to ask.

KentOhio

Reaction score
The yellowing was the first thing that stood out to me when I saw the listing. It really does look like they glued a different lip on the bottle. I'm surprised so few people have been wondering about that.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75