opened up a stone liner

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Basil.W.Duke

Reaction score
this region is 80 foot deep of soft sand. We had 2 16 foot woodliners collapse on us and we were unable to pull out our wooden sleeves .

Basil.W.Duke

Reaction score
here is me in a deep one without protection.....never never again. There was a guy not far from here that was killed in a collapse. He was 20 down. From what I was told....it happened in slow motion and he screamed his lungs out as it happened. In the picture I am 32 feet deep

55D2F0DF121E49638F7F75D81D9341E5.jpg

Attachments

• 55D2F0DF121E49638F7F75D81D9341E5.jpg
    55D2F0DF121E49638F7F75D81D9341E5.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 76

olddog21

Reaction score
At 32 feet deep, you are a perfect candidate for well diggers poisoning, build up of respiratory gases in an enclosed space. When the poisoning hits, you pass out and don't feel a thing when it happens. Anyone trying to rescue a victim without a scuba rig will die as well.
This is a confined entry situation that kills about 30 people a year, half victims and half rescuers.

Digging that deep in unstable soils requires an engineered shoring system. If you lost shoring because of a collapsed wall, it would be a good idea to learn better shoring practices and use sturdier materials for shallower pits.

Sounds like you are digging the Cincinnati area. Great glass but dangerous digging.

Basil.W.Duke

Reaction score
good info on the air quality. We have a shoring system of 3/16 thick interlocking 42 inch dia steel tubes. It seems we will need air circ now. The shoring for wood liners works well but might be disposable

baltbottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jimmartin

good info on the air quality. We have a shoring system of 3/16 thick interlocking 42 inch dia steel tubes. It seems we will need air circ now. The shoring for wood liners works well but might be disposable

Can you post some pictures of your tubes? I'm interested in seeing this whole setup.

Chris

epackage

Reaction score
We use stuff like this when working in manholes doing sewer tie-ins Chris...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ALLEGRO-Confined-Space-Fan-2KJH8?cm_mmc=CSE:Become-_-Safety-_-Confined%20Space%20Equipment-_-2KJH8&srccode=cii_16079562&cpncode=32-158662607-2

olddog21

Reaction score
Made my post about digging deep privies and got an email from Mr Martin. He wanted to know how I knew about the collapse fatality in Cincinnati. He also indicated that he was not wise to provide enough information so people could figure out where he is digging. I don't see a problem with people knowing what city you are digging in. The Cincinnati area is huge so what is the problem. Having new diggers in his area or anywhere aware of the potential collapse problem is information that every one should know.

I have dug bottles and been involved in the hobby since 1975. I have heard a lot of stuff and not one time did I deem that information confidential. I don't appreciate being questioned or chastised about the information that I know. I am done with Jim Martin.

Basil.W.Duke

Reaction score
old dog not quite sure if maybe you are off your meds. I was not mad at you but quite the opposite....myself for posting info. I reread my email to you and am scratching my head. Well maybe my best quality is pissing off people.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75