Opinion on need for Dew named bottles list

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I don't know if anyone has visited mountaindewbottles.com recently, but Mr. Burgess and his list are not responding to anything. This makes it hard to add on to the list without a "central" website for everyone to have access to. I have been studying the world of Mountain Dew very intently everyday, well, for the last few years at least. I don't know if it would be out of line for me to make a website featuring a named bottle list that can be added on to, and also a price guide based on current ebay sales and collector prices.

I am dedicated and prepared to make an awesome website, although it will be on weebly since I can't afford to do the hosting thing right now. I really wish Wayne's site was working correctly, but I really don't like the program he makes you download for the Mountain Dew bottle names.

I am currently converting a list to excel that will make things easier to manage right now. I will definitely need help from some of you guys with names of bottles and such. Thanks for your help!

Hillbilly Tested, Willy Approved!

753F0A753F7F45479F65F6C40B3007BA.jpg

Attachments

• 753F0A753F7F45479F65F6C40B3007BA.jpg
    753F0A753F7F45479F65F6C40B3007BA.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 60

perrycola

Reaction score
I say go for it....I'll help with adding name bottles when possible

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Thanks perrycola! My list is based off of Dick Bridgforth's book, so I know there will be many city names to add from the start. Should I list the different variations of every bottle, or just have the names and that's it? A price list, or maybe a rarity statement for each bottle? Maybe both? Thanks again!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Anthonicia ~

Question (for clarification) ...

Are you referring to a seperate site, or posting it here on A-B.net?

You likely have already thought of this, but keeping the list "Alphabetical" will be one of your biggest challenges. As you know there are something like 800-900 variations. I have a copyright 2001 list of about 800 bottles and will be glad to help if I can. My list has the dates when a particular bottle was released, but it does not have values. (Determing true values/rarity will be another huge challenge).

But I say go for it ... especially if it's on a seperate website.

My hat's off to you. Good Luck!

SPBOB

BB0E60374537408D9B1F8CD50D9ED9D2.gif

Attachments

• BB0E60374537408D9B1F8CD50D9ED9D2.gif
    BB0E60374537408D9B1F8CD50D9ED9D2.gif
    61.6 KB · Views: 63

grime5

Reaction score
i went to that site several times and could never see the list. i emailed a couple of times and never got a responce. i would love to be able to see a list of names on dew bottles. i say go forward with your quest. thanks greg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Regarding that website list. The last time I accessed it, it required a massive download in order to get it. Which I did with no problems. But it did require considerable time to download the hundreds of pages it contained. In other words; It doesn't just appear. You have to request it to be sent to you.

SPBOB

P.S. ~ I just double checked my documents file where the list was downloaded, and it's still there as pretty as you please. All 600 pages I believe it is. Might I suggest trying the site again and double check on the downloading part.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I did some double checking of my own and discovered I was mistaken about the number of pages. (Which I'm still not sure how many there are. But it's a lot). The 600 I referred to were the number of pages in the book itself, and not the download. The download is fairly extensive, but not 600 pages worth. The list I currently have on file contains a total of 933 individual bottles, but I am not sure if it is up to date or not. The only thing I didn't do was follow through on the e-mail updates option the site offered me. But I intend to do that soon.

SPBOB

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Sodabob- I had the list from the site also, but somehow it was deleted from my computer. I have tried to get it again and once I enter my info and press enter a "Page cannot be found" message appears. I don't know if the site allows one download per IP address or if the site is in a state of disrepair. I do know that I have tried to contact Mr. Burgess several times going back at least a year and a half ago to no avail.

I plan on making it independent of A-Bnet, but it will be accessible to everyone with no silly encrypted, members only bullshhh. I have a ton of respect for the collectors that made a list even possible in the first place. I also believe that such a list be made accessible to everyone and being amended to by anyone with proof of a named bottle. It's crazy that the only way to get a list is by purchasing Dick Bridgforth's book, or by some miracle getting permission from Wayne Burgess.

This list shouldn't be a secret is basically why I am wanting to make this site. I might hold off on the prices until the site and list is up though. Thanks for the support so far!

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Oh, and the count is 976 named bottles, including the different variations. That number is off by at least 15 since I know of quite a few city and other named bottles not yet added to that list. It is still a work in progress, please bear with me.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Sounds good. Just for the heck of it I will follow up on the getting e-mail updates part and see what happens. I'll let you know what develops.

SPBOB

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter