Orange swimsuit bubble girl 7up

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jbeas31

Reaction score
Jbeas31

I stand corrected. I thought you were talking in general terms about the overall color. I realize now you were literally referring to the swimsuit itself as being colored in. I missed seeing it earlier in your sideways pictures. Yours is the first colored swimsuit I have ever seen.

Here's the bottle upright ...

View attachment 170091

No problem Bob. I'm sorry my pictures suck. I took it as a comparison to one of my other early bottles. How did you manage to get it to post upright?

I knew it was rare when I saw it on eBay. Its quite odd with a smaller script embossed 7up on one side and an 8 bubble trapezoid shape on the other side of the neck.
I had to have it.

The white ACL is very faded (shows up best with a light source on it) but still intact.

It will be one I put in some sort of case by itself to protect it.

Jbeas31

Reaction score
Jbeas31

I'm not shy and would like to offer you $50.00 + shipping for your colored swimsuit bottle. If it were in better condition I would offer even more!

You and Canadacan replied before i was done with my last post, haha. I appreciate the offer Bob, but I'm not ready to part with it yet. I just
received it myself when I posted it to the thread. It's like a new baby to me.

Ive seen a few examples of a white swimsuit girl around the net before. Do you think it could have been a prototype of some sort? Ive read where 1937 was the greatest year for variations.
If you find anything please let me know on here or my email is jbeasley3174@yahoo.com.

Also were those your own 7up bottles posted earlier?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jbeas31

In reply ...

1. We have seen other sideways images here on the Forum but I'm not sure how that happens unless they are sideways in your file to start with. If so, rotate them in your file prior to posting.

2. The first thing I did with the picture I posted was to save it to my file where I rotated and then cropped it using my photo editing.

3. The pictures of the bottles I posted are not mine and are from various sources I saved to my files. I currently have about 250 7up related images on file but only one of which is of a colored swimsuit.

4. I suspect your bottle is more an error than a prototype. In order for a glass factory such as Reed to apply color to such a refined area as the swimsuit had to be done intentionally. I can't say for certain but I seriously doubt the bottler specifically ordered it that way and that someone at the glass factory messed up.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Its possible the colored swimsuit might be something that only The Reed Glass Company produced. Here's a 1936 Reed 7up bottle. And even thought it doesn't have the colored swimsuit, it does have some rather unusual criss-cross embossing on the neck. It could be that Reed Glass was a bit of a rogue glass manufacturer. I'm going to see what I can find specifically related to their 7up bottles.

7up Bottle Reed Glass 1936 Front.jpg

7up Bottle Reed Glass 1936.jpg

Last edited:

Jbeas31

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB. I hope you can understand about me not wanting to part with the bottle.

1& 2. I will have to try taking pictures with my camera instead of my iphone. I suspect it may be part of the problem.

3. Okay, yes it's always nice to have references for future use. Do you collect a lot of 7up bottles/memorabilia?

4.The only reason I thought it might be a prototype is because of the unique 7up embossed low on the neck and the odd 8 bubble logo on the other side of bottle.
Combined with the orange suit its an interesting combination.

I knew it had to be intentional and probably a little more costly to apply in that
I wonder could it have been limited to a very small run of the bottles.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Long story short ...

Extremely-Extremely Rare

Jbeas31

Reaction score
Its possible the colored swimsuit might be something that only The Reed Glass Company produced. Here's a 1936 Reed 7up bottle. And even thought it doesn't have the colored swimsuit, it does have some rather unusual criss-cross embossing on the neck. It could be that Reed Glass was a bit of a rogue glass manufacturer. I'm going to see what I can find specifically related to their 7up bottles.

View attachment 170092

View attachment 170093
Great example
Reed glass does seem to be a bit rogue. I also own a Beaver Falls bottle from Reed with the criss cross pattern on the neck. R in the center of triangle at center. Above 299, right lower 40, left lower 3A

IMG_3381 - Copy.jpgIMG_3383.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Because we are discussing ACL bottles, this link is to what I consider the best article ever compiled on the subject. Notice it says Reed Glass was one of the earliest glass manufacturers to use the process. As far as I know, this is the first time this article has been posted on the Forum and hopefully will be a treat for ACL collectors. If the link doesn't open directly on the article, click on article number 1305

Article by ...

Cecil Munsey

http://cecilmunsey.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=1252&&Itemid=3

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's a 1938 Tom Joyce 7up bottle made by Reed Glass. Notice it has the typical swimsuit and not the colored one. It could be the colored swimsuit was only produced in 1937 ???

7up Tom Joyce 1938 Reed Glass.jpg

7up Tom Joyce 1938 Reed Glass Base.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28