Outhouse or not?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JohnRoy

Reaction score
I am working a site, and have dug down 3 feet into two separate holes, both within a short distance of an 1830s cemetary. In one, the smaller one (6 x 4), I found bits of pottery and china within the first couple of feet. The second one is about 6.5 x 4 feet. I have not pulled out any fragments out of that one. I dug out a lot of sand from both of these. They seem to have both been very rectangular, because I could make out the outline of an edge on one side on both of them. I am only hitting dirt still at this point, although some of it is a little redder. How far must I expect to get before I hit glass? If these were not privies, I do not know what they were. They both were filled with sand, and probed wella few feet down. This is an 1820s and onward site; I found a piece of Trapp/Chandler Pottery near one hole. If it were an intact pot, it would be worth $5,000. Please help me if you can. I am in Augusta, GA. My digging partner from the forum abandoned me over the weekend by leaving me at a local restaurant when I went to use the bathroom. I could use somebody else who is dependable. I guess the digging got to be too much for him. -John

epgorge

Reaction score
John Roy,

That is too bad. Probe again. You must be close.
Joel

JohnRoy

Reaction score
I am wondering if one of them is an unmarked grave. It is in front of the Master's cemetary, but yet to the right of it, down a little hill, is the cistern by the stream.
There seems to be another sand filled pit near this one, but it goes the other direction.
-John

capsoda

Reaction score
A cistern down hill from a cemetary?????? Now that sounds like it must have held som sweet water.

I wouldn't call the guy my partner if he left me like that. I would probably have ended up in the hospital. To get my boot outta his ass!!!!! What a jerk!!!!!

epgorge

Reaction score
Watch it or you may turn into an archealogist diggin up bones.

Cap your killing me. [:D][:D]

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
I've had some guys do some pretty dirty things to me while digging but never strand me at a diner. I'd be jacked! Where's the photo of the piece you dug that was broken?

LC

Reaction score
Indeed, dig a hole! I've been there done that as well. I had to hitch twenty five miles to get home when the Guy left me once. He got mad because I would not give him a particular bottle I had dug.......................... I probably would have given him the bottle, if it had not been a particular bottle I had been trying to find for ages!

JohnRoy

Reaction score
This was the first dig that he had ever done. He was new to the forum. After he left me, I did not feel up to digging out the rest. I had found some pieces of broken jugs and S.C. Dispensary stuff nearby is why he wanted "to assist."
-John

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology