OWENS-ILLINOIS MARK 4285G ~ WHAT DOES IT STAND FOR?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottleopop

Reaction score
wisodas -

I included those that have the digit on the heel already. The 37 didn't have the number on the heel either.

squirtbob

Reaction score
I don't know if this will make your day or not. I'm not familiar with this Turk's Head Beverage bottle but it is embossed and does have a G Code on the heel G3003. I did not locate any Owens-Illinois markings on the bottom of the bottle. Perhaps one of the Rhode Island experts can help.
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

It case it hasn't dawned on anyone yet, there are going to be multiple challenges involved with trying to match up the 1930 mold numbers from the catalog to actual bottles, which are ...

1. I can't recall ever seeing a confirmed 1930 Owens-Illinois bottle irregardless of whether it had a mold number or not.
2. Even 1931 through 1933 examples are not that abundant, nor are they likely going to be easy to identify and find either.
3. Its possible that the catalog mold numbers weren't even embossed on the bottles.

If someone finds even one Owens-Illinois embossed only bottle with a mold number on it, even if the date is questionable, please share it with the rest of us for evaluation. Just one confirmed non acl from circa 1930 to 1933 with a mold number on it is all it would take to make my day.

Thanks.

Bob

B04CEBDC2E9844C184A81C1ED08926C1.jpg

Attachments

• B04CEBDC2E9844C184A81C1ED08926C1.jpg
    B04CEBDC2E9844C184A81C1ED08926C1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 79

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Bob ~

Thanks for sharing your non-acl with us. Even though it doesn't have an Owens-Illinois symbol on it, does it happen to have a different makers mark? Its possible it was made by a different glass company. I am only speculating when I say this, but its starting to look as if almost everyone used a G in some manner when related to different codes. I can't say for certain, but I'd bet money that G stands for "Glass."

Bob

squirtbob

Reaction score
Bob, I can't locate any manufacturer's mark on the bottle and the bottle is in excellent condition. I was thinking that G Codes related only to Owens Illinois bottles. I do not see G codes on any other bottles. Looking closer the G Code on this bottle appears as follows:
G 3003 1 Perhaps one of the Rhode Island collectors has this 8 oz bowling pin style bottle to compare it with. I'd also be curious to know how old it is?
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

Bob ~

Thanks for sharing your non-acl with us. Even though it doesn't have an Owens-Illinois symbol on it, does it happen to have a different makers mark? Its possible it was made by a different glass company. I am only speculating when I say this, but its starting to look as if almost everyone used a G in some manner when related to different codes. I can't say for certain, but I'd bet money that G stands for "Glass."

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
squirtbob ~

I spoke in error this morning and actually intended to post a two part comment that somehow blended into one. Here's what I meant to say ...

Part one: That other glass makers also used style codes, such as those mentioned by member wisoda when he said, "Root Glass Co, used 2, 3, and 4 digit design numbers, often associated with one or two letters. And Thatcher used 4-digit design numbers on its soda water bottles in the late 1940’s-early 1950’s."

Part two: On bottles that use a G, I bet it stands for Glass.

Regarding your Rhode Island bottle? No clue ... unless its true that Owens-Illinois was the only company to use G's, except I've never seen an O-I bottle that wasn't marked with either ... <(I)> ... or ... (I) ... ???

Like you said, maybe a Rhode Island collector has some ideas.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Bob

wisodas

Reaction score
There certainly could be Owens-Illinois bottles that lack the OI symbol. If it says G3003 1, that sounds to me like Owens-Illinois mold design G3003 and mold cavity number 1.

Root Glass Co. mold numbers look much different than Owens-Illinois numbers. The Root Glass Co. 4-digit numbers and accompanying letters were invariably created with steel punches that produced very uniform-looking, squared-off looking letters and numbers. I'm not sure exactly how to describe the lettering, but anyone who has seen 1909 to 1931 RGCO and ROOT bottles knows how distinct that lettering is. 1909 to 1931 Root bottles were usually marked on the heel, but sometimes on the bottom of the bottle.

The Graham glass companies also used steel number and letter punches.

The Chattanooga Glass Co. transitioned from hand-cut to machine-punch lettering in the 1940's for mold numbers and dates on Coca-Cola bottles.

bottleopop

Reaction score
I looked for things that looked like G mold numbers with no O-I symbol among my bottles. All I found was examples of the same kind of thing --
I have a bottle with G9482 30E ("Famous"), and one (8.5oz) with G9625 30E and one (24oz) with G9626 30E (both "Royal Beverage Co."), and a G10143 30E ("Epping"), and a G10488 30E ("Serenader's").

Does "30E" indicate a transition from American Bottle Company to Owens-Illinois? There is no glass company mark on these bottles, unless 30E is one.

I was looking at the G numbers on the two Royal bottles just now and those numbers are crudely formed and on the heel. The 30E is on the base (underside).

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottleopop

I looked for things that looked like G mold numbers with no O-I symbol among my bottles. All I found was examples of the same kind of thing --
I have a bottle with G9482 30E ("Famous"), and one (8.5oz) with G9625 30E and one (24oz) with G9626 30E (both "Royal Beverage Co."), and a G10143 30E ("Epping"), and a G10488 30E ("Serenader's").

Does "30E" indicate a transition from American Bottle Company to Owens-Illinois? There is no glass company mark on these bottles, unless 30E is one.

I was looking at the G numbers on the two Royal bottles just now and those numbers are crudely formed and on the heel. The 30E is on the base (underside).

bop ~

The following is copy/pasted from Page #5 / Post #86 of a thread I started on September 29, 2011 titled "Earliest Owens-Illinois Soda Bottle Mark (Non-Acl)" Since I don't believe its a coincedence, I am of the opinion the E Bill Porter refers to and your E are one and the same. The only thing I'm a little confused about is the 30. Are the bottles you indicated acls or embossed only?

Thanks.

Bob

[ From September of 2011 ]

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-453203/mpage-1/key-/tm.htm

I contacted Bill Porter today and he sent me a list with 43 Coca Cola hobbleskirts, all of which were the Patent 1923 bottles from 22 different states. Every one of them was made at the Owens-Illinois plant no.11 in Evansville, Indiana. All are basically marked the same and look something like this ...

11 <(I)> 30E

All have a double-digit 30 for 1930. The E stands for Evansville.

But we need to be reminded that those early Coca Cola bottles are exceptions to the rule. If you have read Bill Lockhart's Owens-Illinois article, you will recall he discussed these Coca Cola bottles seperately, and that the Coca Cola Company had spefic guidelines regarding the manufacturing of their particular bottles. And because of their requirement to have their bottles made with double-digit date codes, it appears to me they had the smarts to foresee problems with single-digit dates. Of course, Coca Cola was (and still is) the big dog in town, so whatever they wanted, they got! Can you imagine how big of an account a Coca Cola account must have been?

So even though I have yet to see another "for sure" 1930 Owens-Illinois soda bottle, because of Bill Porter's invaluable assistence, we know for certain now that they do in fact exist. Thanks, Bill. You're the man!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
PS ~

Regarding my confusion ...

If bop's bottles are acls, then the presence of a 30 (1930) doesn't seem to jive. The earliest acl I am aware of is a 1934.

Bob

wisodas

Reaction score
[/quote]I looked for things that looked like G mold numbers with no O-I symbol among my bottles. All I found was examples of the same kind of thing --
I have a bottle with G9482 30E ("Famous"), and one (8.5oz) with G9625 30E and one (24oz) with G9626 30E (both "Royal Beverage Co."), and a G10143 30E ("Epping"), and a G10488 30E ("Serenader's"). [/quote]

To my way of thinking these are Graham Glass - Evansville plant products from 1930.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen