OWENS-ILLINOIS MARK 4285G ~ WHAT DOES IT STAND FOR?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottleopop

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB:
If bop's bottles are acls
I only collect glass-decorated bottles; not ACLs. ACLs are nice, but I don't collect them. :)

wisodas:
To my way of thinking these are Graham Glass - Evansville plant products from 1930.
Thank you! It's all coming together now :)

Very interesting about the 30E marks on Bill Porter's Coca Cola bottles!

I see on page 50 of the Coca Cola article by Bill Lockhart and Bill Porter that Graham Glass used a double-digit date code in the format GYY starting in 1920. I have Graham bottles with date codes G25, G26, G27, G28, and G29. In 1929, Owens Bottle Company (Owens actually owned Graham Glass since 1916) merged with the Illinois Glass Company. One of the Graham Glass locations was Evansville, Indiana.

Apparently 30E is a 1-year type of date code used by the glass plant in Evansville in 1930. Possibly the date code of "0" on the right of the Owens-Illinois symbol was used at the same time. The few 'date code' "0" that I have are from plants #7 and #9.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

[ Page 1 of 4 ]

Howdy ...

OWENS-ILLINOIS 4285G MARK ~ WHAT DOES IT STAND FOR?

The following will initially consist of at least four pages with pictures, so please hold off posting replies until I am done so as to present this in a sequential and comprehensive manner.

Thanks a lot.

Bob ... a.k.a. SODAPOPBOB

This involves my seemingly never-ending pursuit of trying to decipher the meanings of various base marks on soda bottles, especially painted label (acl) bottles by the Owens-Illinois company.

First of all is the Owens-Illinois chart pictured below to assist us during the course of this discussion, followed by various Owens-Illinois bottles and their base marks which are the primary focus of this thread.

Of particular interest on the Owens-Illinois chart below please note the plant number 23 for Los Angeles, California.

Also, have you ever wondered why the various Owens-Illinois charts never address the "G" numbers but rather focus on the marks immediately surrounding the symbol? Maybe that's because no one has figured out what the "G" numbers stand for. Of course, this doesn't mean I have, but with everyone's help we just "might" be one step closer to doing that very thing.

By the way, the "G" doesn't stand for "Green" because I have seen other Owens-Illinois bottles that are "Clear" but also have the "G" mark, but with different numbers. My best guess is the "G" stands for "Glass" in some manner.

B9EE4F1F819D4DB38F6AEA65D7E9F28E.jpg

This is from the 2007 November-December issue of "the Soda Fizz" magazine.

Scroll to page 21 under the heading of "Bases and Heels." Read the last paragraph that starts with "Many of the post-1937 Seven-Up bottles ..."

http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/thesodafizz/SevenUp_BLockhart.pdf

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen