Painting embossed lettering?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Not everyone minds the highlighting. It is a personal preference as Cyberdigger states so astutely. I have never had anyone ask me to remove paint and had no complaints, though for the majority of bottles I sell are unpainted only because painting takes time and I reserve that for my collection (lazy?!), but if it is painted I don't mess with removing it.

Dishwashers sure make cleaning easy. I have put $1000+ bottles through a cycle and never had problems with any bottle. Very clean when done, which is a nice pallet for painting. I don't use the heated dry though. Again this is personal preference. I do a lot of them by hand too, especially if they are exceptionally dirty.

In other words Terry, collect what you like, and if you like them painted, go ahead and paint. They will not be hurt one bit. If you decide to part with them and they are still painted give Jim or myself a shot first, we like them that way! [:D]

bottleopop

Reaction score
A few years ago I bought a few kinds of craft paint from a craft store and painted up 2 or 3 kinds of deco bottles just to see what they would look like. This is different from the question of just painting lettering; I painted the different parts of the design different colors.

Some of the craft paints were transparent colors and some were opaque. I didn't use any oil-based paints since I wanted to be able to wash the bottles off with water and detergent after I was finished. Some of the paints did not adhere all that well to the glass and some looked too thin and vague.

The bottles looked pretty good and I found that some had a lot more detail than I realized before attempting to paint them. After a few days of having them on a shelf, I cleaned them off. The cleaning was not a problem at all.

Once I bought a non-acl bottle on ebay that had been painted with black paint on just some of its lettering. I had quite a time getting it off. It was obviously done by a collector/seller, not a manufacturer and none of the design was painted. As I recall, I used a brass brush and lighter fluid and goof-off and fingernail polish remover to get it off. It finally all came off ok and I didn't see any damage on the bottle's lettering where it was.

A few years ago, I bought an amber embossed chocolate soldier bottle that someone had painted on one side. Whoever it was did a very good job and it has several colors. I left the paint on since I have a better-condition chocolate soldier bottle. The paint on the bottle looks like oil-based model paint.

The bottles I tried painting were in very good condition without any frosted wear. I'd be somewhat afraid to paint frosted-worn lettering without doing some removal testing after a couple months of time. Many, or even most, paints don't just dry - they polymerize or at least become a different chemical after their water or solvent leaves. After they do that, they don't all come off so easily with scrubbing and solvents because they are now a different chemical than they were in the bottle. The paint can get into very tiny wear-crevices or microscopic pits and be difficult to get out.

In my opinion, painting parts of good condition bottles would probably be OK for taking a photo or for a short display for a few days or months. However, I don't recommend leaving paint on for years unless you're totally sure of its effects. As we all know, the ground can take glass off a bottle (frosting it); some soils more than others. A paint could possibly do the same thing over a long period of time.

splante

Reaction score
kinda reminds me of the tumble or not to tumble debate....

fishnuts

Reaction score
My .02 on this topic...imho, I do not paint any embossed bottles. I feel that as they were manufactured without benefit of paint or embellishment, that is how they should display. Would you want an original Auburn Boat-tail roadster, or a re built, repainted one? Okay, I'd take either, too...but, you get the idea.

However, (you knew there would be one) I will augment faded colors on my acls. Especially older faded Ark. bottles, on my shelves forever, probably no one would ever care about, save few. As we all do "It's my display/collection, I'll do it like I want" as the rule of the day.

I note, though, that the question was regarding deco bottles...
Photos shown seem to all be hutch style, blobs, slugs and other pre-deco vintage styles. Augmenting a deco soda could be quite a bit of work with all the features so prominately showing art deco designs. These designs were built to for the medium to NOT have paint...even when paint became available many 'deco' designs lasted well into the Fifties and beyond. To me it would be a sin to glob them up with anything not original to the bottle makers design. If your decos don't POP enough you may be getting the wrong bottles as most, if not all, decos can be identified by their shape/design.
Even for us old eyes types...

bottleopop

Reaction score
Since I mentioned it, I figured I'd post the photo of the deco Chocolate Soldier that somone had painted, even though this topic is about painting the lettering on SS bottles; sorry.

I don't know who painted this and when. This stitch has both sides of the same bottle. I held it up with my fingers and cropped them out.

9306DBAC5D7F4BE4AE4A7BA26D318C80.jpg

Attachments

• 9306DBAC5D7F4BE4AE4A7BA26D318C80.jpg
    9306DBAC5D7F4BE4AE4A7BA26D318C80.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 135

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.