past few digs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
hi folks. been a while since ive posted. Ive dug about 6 or so holes this year, maybe more. Been spending most of my time reconstructing pottery, getting ready to dig in the mid-west, making some extra money, and for those that know me know that I like to sit back with a rod, reel, my chick, and some brews.

First up are two common pontiled meds. Dr JS Rose and BA Fahenstocks Vermifuge. Dug these two little beauts in a shallow Baltimore woodliner in March. That hole produced a good 3 feet of 1850s trash, but there wasnt much by means of killer stuff.

newstuff008.jpg

Here is a newer med. We dug this one along with a big pile of 1880-1900 bottles out of two 18 foot brickliners in Wilmington last Friday. Im not too familiar with Trenton stuff, and I do not like the city of Trenton. It reads:

Taylors Horehound Balsam Trenton, NJ

newstuff001.jpg

Here is a later (but nice) Shlotterer weiss beer from Manayunk, PA. Me and my bud Alan, along with my dad took the kids to a local dump earlier this year and Alan dug this one. He was really nice and gave it to me.

Thanks Alan!

newstuff002.jpg

Iron pontiled M. Murphy 26 Vine Street green squat from Philadelphia...this bad boy (or I should say girl since the M supposedly stands for Mary), was given to me by another digger from PA who I showed how to dig privys. Its a really nice slug plate squat.

newstuff010.jpg

This is an English slipware cup which production date goes back to the 17th century. This one was dug in a 1740-50 context in Baltimore. You can find some of these in the Museum of Londons collection or any pre Rev War site, but very few go back 100% like this one. Im almost done with all the early pottery from the Baltimore hole and will have the results posted ASAP.

baltostuff006.jpg

baltostuff008.jpg

baltostuff007.jpg

We dug an 8' across shared brickliner on Sunday. The privy was shared for about 10 houses. The layer had 3 whole squats, puffs, 1 med, and a ton of squished pottery and glass. I took home some neat things including this Rowand's Tonic Mixture of Vegetable Febrifuge Philada.

Has anyone seen a rolled lip example? [8|]

newstuff004.jpg

newstuff005.jpg

newstuff006.jpg

newstuff007.jpg

Thanks for looking, and good luck on any adventures!

Matt

sweetrelease

Reaction score
sweet!! i like the lip on the last one. whats up bud? i'm back to work , but still lookin on the digs[;)] do you know much about chestnut hill pa.? thats where i'm working and would like to know alittle about it ,thanks and those are some sweet bottles ,matt

idigjars

Reaction score
Great finds! That cup is really cool, you did a great job of putting it back together. Thanks for sharing your pics and good luck finding more. Paul

appliedlips

Reaction score
Nice stuff there Matt.That slipware cup is really cool,and will look great cleaned up and glued.Make sure to send me a big box of pontilled Illinois stuff from your trip.

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
Matt, good talking to you again...good luck on finding some more pontiled blues.

Thanks Paul. Its a temp reconstruction, it will be bound together when everything is cleaned.

Ryan, Its a beaut! Thanks.

Doug, you didnt say they had to be whole pontils. [;)]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583