permission?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downsouthdiggers

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone have any good ideas on asking a historic home owner if you can find their dump and dig it? Any good excuses as to why? And what are the odds of them saying yes? Just askin. . .

RedGinger

Reaction score
Are you neighbors with them? I've been thinking for a long time about asking some neighbors of mine. Anyway, RickJJ59W can help with suggestions, as can many other members. Good luck.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: downsouthdiggers

Hey, does anyone have any good ideas on asking a historic home owner if you can find their dump and dig it? Any good excuses as to why? And what are the odds of them saying yes? Just askin. . .

Well, the last thing I'd do is call them "historic"! [:D]

Oh, you mean the owners of a historic home? That makes more sense. [;)] I've yet to do it myself, but I'd assume being as straighforward and confident as possible would get you far. Say you collect bottles, bottles live in trash dumps, and there is a trash dump in the person's backyard. Trying to say anything more complicated might be bothersome to the person. I'm sure it'd be easier to get permission if you know the person. I'm going to (hopefully) get permission to dig the privy of an 1865 house soon, because my mom sewed curtains for the owner. I did a lot of research on the home, so I think showing them old maps of the home will be more convincing. I haven't even tried yet, but I'm assuming these techniques will work... Guess I'll find out soon. Good luck to you...

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

ORIGINAL: downsouthdiggers

Well, the last thing I'd do is call them "historic"! [:D]

Oh, you mean the owners of a historic home? That makes more sense. [;)] I've yet to do it myself, but I'd assume being as straighforward and confident as possible would get you far. Say you collect bottles, bottles live in trash dumps, and there is a trash dump in the person's backyard. Trying to say anything more complicated might be bothersome to the person. I'm sure it'd be easier to get permission if you know the person. I'm going to (hopefully) get permission to dig the privy of an 1865 house soon, because my mom sewed curtains for the owner. I did a lot of research on the home, so I think showing them old maps of the home will be more convincing. I haven't even tried yet, but I'm assuming these techniques will work... Guess I'll find out soon. Good luck to you...

Hell I don't even use the word "dig" and look at all the places I get [8D]

downsouthdiggers

Reaction score
Well, I found a church that was established in 1800. . .think there might be anything good there? I'm sure I could get permission from the county. . .

DIGS CHESCO

Reaction score
The best thing to do is get face to face with the property owner. Get in front of them and be honest as to what it is that you are looking for (ie. privy, dump..etc), make it clear that you are a collector and display a passion for preserving historic glass. Clearly explain the process, and make sure that they understand that you may be digging with hand tools but that you will restore the area to its original condition or better. Some historic property owners are "purists" who want all artifacts to remain untouched (undug), but if the conversation got that far then chances are they may warm up latter or may have other properties that they are willing to allow you to explore. Now go get 'em.

kwalker

Reaction score
Sometimes a little coaxing works too...Bring a common embossed bottle with you or one that's a real "pretty" color. My grandmom's friends seem to LOVE when they get what they call "the pretty water [aqua] colored bottles!" They're real peaches if you can't already tell [;)]

One or two Hire's Household or Mason jars really can go a long way if you can part with them. Even if you head out and buy a few from an antique store for a few bucks each so you don't have to hack into your personal collection [8D] I've gotten permission from two places because of this method (though I seem to have yet to even find the time to go there...)

Another thing you REALLY should consider is drawing up a pamphlet on Word or something just showing a few pictures of your collection, how and where you dig and what you do when you're done. Hand it to them to look through while you're there, it'll help them get a better visual on what you want to actually do, how you intend to do it and more importantly, why you do it as well.

David Fertig

Reaction score
"HI. I'm Dave. I collect old bottles. Since you have an old house, there is a good chance that there are old bottles burried in your back yard. Would you mind showing me the back yard while I tell you more about my hobby?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem