pharmacy bottle shapes

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

passthebottle

Reaction score
Since Lordbud put us on the topic of embossed pharmacy symbols, maybe some of you would be interesed in these pictures of pharmacy bottle shapes.

F3645CC9B3384EA793AE5B295FDF54F0.jpg

Attachments

• F3645CC9B3384EA793AE5B295FDF54F0.jpg
    F3645CC9B3384EA793AE5B295FDF54F0.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 54

druggistnut

Reaction score
Interesting. That appears to be a Canadian bottle makers pamphlet, yes? What company?
The individual bottle maufactures each had their own tags for shapes of bottles, and if I could get my scanner/printer hooked up to this laptop (my tower is down), I'd scan some pages from American pamphlets for you.
The diamond oval and beaver oval, on the old page, have identical bottoms (which is the American method of identifying shapes, by the bottoms/base), but they have different shoulders and heights.
Bill

DeaconDave

Reaction score
I have the H.E. Putnam bottle identification book. Is it a good one or another run of the mill publication? The 1965 edition.
Dave

Asmile is a curve that can get alot of things straight.

druggistnut

Reaction score
I have the H.E. Putnam bottle identification book. Is it a good one or another run of the mill publication? The 1965 edition.
ORIGINAL: DeaconDave

Any book on bottles is a good one. <smile>
I recommend adding as many as you can to it, Dave. You can get conflicting information from different publications and then compare notes, ask questions.
Knowledge is power.
Bill

DeaconDave

Reaction score
Bill thanks for the imformative reply. I will keep the book, I have 17 bottle books and am surprised at how one book will say one thing and another will say the opposite.
Thanks again
Dave

Lordbud

Reaction score
The unindented base of the "Philadelphia oval" or plain old "flat base" as I call them are some
of the older plate-mold embossed pharmacy bottles. Sometimes a flat base pharmacy will have a single number embossed on the base.

These flat base examples are thought to be 1870s in vintage.

The various styles/shapes with the indented bases hail from the 1880s into the turn of the century.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960