Pickers problem

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jesster64

Reaction score
I ran into a problem I knew was going to happen. The badger and I stopped by and old house on the way home from digging. The badger said he spotted some old bottles in a window last time he passed by the house. I got out and spoke with an older gentleman. I explained we collect bottles and wanted to know if he had some he wanted to sell. He said "like on the pickers tv show?" I said no, I knew what he meant but we didin't sell bottles, just collected them. He said the pickers show rips people off. I agreed with him and told him we just got back from digging and asked if he collected the bottles himself, did he dig, etc. He said he would have to ask his wife and took down our number to call. Friendly enough guy but extremely suspicious of us and didn't say much where he got them or anything. I think more and more people who watch that show are going to think they are getting ripped off and become less friendly. just my opinion.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Yep I agree with you on that. Just like price guide books allow people to think that a c-5 piece of crap is worth the price of a C-9 which is the list price in whatever outdated book they happen to have seen, the same type will see this show and automatically think that when you are trying to explain that they have far too much on the piece of crap C-5 while trying to bargain with them will think that you are just one of those smart mouthed Yankee pickers who is just trying to rip them off.

I also run into the "You a seller?" question when trying to purchase bottles, because of course they will jack up the price on you if you are. Mention the research website and they automatically think ebay. Idiots galore out there, making assumptions based on what they see on the boob tube.

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
That dag blasted box is the root of all evils!! All kidding aside.. the road show, pickers, pawn stars, etc.. all brain wash peopel.. I have done the drive up and ask is that tractor or farm stuff over there burried in the weeds for sale ... for over 20 years ... you get answers like my boy is gonna restore it ( ten years later still there in the same spot) Must be worth a lot of money if your askin?? Dam is rusty junk how is it worth big money?? then you get I was offered 10 million for that.. come on now??? .. then there is the other side You really wanna buy that.. how much you give me.. a hundred bucks .. dam your nuts pay me and haul it away.. And then the best one is Just take it i am tired of lookin at it!!! Go figure.. There are all kinds out there and unless you ask you will never ever know??

Then you get the auctions.. This past week attended a so called estate auction.. where the auctioneer would set the prices and say no lower if you don't want it tuff... for items he thought were worth $$ then he would turn around and sell valuble stuff like hard to find milk bottles woth 50 - 100 buck for 10.00 And then you get the buyers who just bid till they win Makes me laugh out loud.. a guy and his wife were looking at a local blob top.. she had to have it and told her hubby don't come home with out it..
Hmmm lets see how bad she wants it.. picker value 10.00 shelf value 20.00 what did she pay.. 110.00 plus 15% buyers premium.. And they call us nuts...

Its a crazy world out there ... but if you don't go knock ask look dig.. you never will know..

HAPPY PICKINS enough of my rant !! John Out!!

Even the auctioneer was using this is good american picker stuff don't let it get away.. I now find my self riding home from auction etc.. sayin picked 20.00 value 10.00 you dumb a$$ but hey if it makes you happy... who cares... Then there is the flip side.. buy a 5 gallon bucket of rusty planter parts picked 4.00 put on ebay sold 250.00 Them there pickers ain't got nothin on this Yankee..

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
We have experienced that very same reaction from several people whose doors we knocked on recently. "American Pickers" has invaded the conscious of many tube watchers in recent months and they automatically assume that we intend to get rich digging the pits on their properties. In the majority of cases nothing could be further from the truth, but no pleas can convince some of them, a phenomenon that will only become more prevalent as that show remains on the air and in their minds. I ask them if they can or will find and dig the privies, but most say that they probably not. I won't bother even probing such bonehead's yards, either. Sure enough, as soon as a pit is located we will get the boot and their shovels will come out. Let 'em find the holes on their own if they are full of such treasure.

jesster64

Reaction score
The main problem with "Pickers" is it shows how much they re-sold the items for at the end of the show . Its almost a slap in the face to the people where they got it from. I think one of the worst feelings is a sense of getting ripped off. I can live with losing money, giving it away,accidently throwing it out, or destroying it, but if I get ripped off, that feeling is the worst of all. Thanks to this show, people think they are getting ripped off and it doesn't matter to them if the items rot, its still theirs and they actually feel better for not selling the items. They think they got one over on The Man.
At least with pawn stars, the expert will give you his opinion and the owner makes an offer. You know the real value and can accept or decline the offer. Antique road show also gives you the real value at an auction. Pickers just shows people getting short changed because they don't know the value of an item.
I don't mind talking with people, actually I enjoy it, but if I get an attitude like the old man gave me, that I'm a crook out to rob him, that ruins it for me too.

madpaddla

Reaction score
I totally agree with the thoughts about the Picker show. I would feel ripped off also. It is the point where they tell the viewer what they sold the item for that is dishonest. At least at a yard sale, flea market, etc. The seller is doing just that ....selling. Not sitting on their porch when a tv show pulls up wanting to rummage through their stuff. Jesster, Oldi, and Cald got it right.

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
yeah id be unhappy to sell my stuff to them and find that they sold it for three times what they paid for it. I get insulted if someone calls me a picker, (like my mom and friends) I tell them its completely different from what I'm doing. I'd prefer being called a garbologist over picker any day.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4