Pipe video..might be a good video hosting site for all

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madpaddla

Reaction score
Value on black pipe:
Here is the link folks. Hope the video site works for others to show those tough embossing, dig videos, etc.
M P
http://www.zippyvideos.com/6977839104216886/mov01764/

GRR where did the sound go. Oh well.

Black_Boogers

Reaction score
Sound worked for me! As the story goes, the reason most times you find these pipes without a full stem, is that back in the 'olden times', you would go to the local tavern to drink and have a smoke. You would buy a pipeload of tobacco and the tavern would supply the pipe. After you finished, it was customary to break off the end of the pipe you put your lips on as a courtesy to the next customer that "rented" the pipe. They would then be discarded when the stem got too short. The value on those isn't much, a few dollars at most, but they come in a lot of cool shapes with faces and dogs, etc. Cool finds!!

Mihai

Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong but I think that the black pipe is only a white one stained. Sitting in mud or dirt for 100 years can have this effect on some pipes.

If my relation with the Master Forum would be better I could post the pictures of a black pipe, made from black clay, and a white one stained from laying on the bottom of a river. Try to scratch gently the surface of the black one to see for sure if is black or white. I'll send you an e-mail with the pictures. For some reason I can't post messages with pictures attached.

madpaddla

Reaction score
Thanks you two.
Great info B B. The information on this site is amazing. Thanks to all for being so nice and willing to give free your knowledge. Its nice forums like this that promote the HOBBY in such a good light.
M P

elmoleaf

Reaction score
See Hume, Artifacts of Colonial America for all the info you'd ever want about pipes.

According to the author, the "breaking the stem off" theory is probably false. Breaking the stem would remove the carefully tapered mouthpiece and leave sharp uncomfortable edges in the smoker's mouth. Also, tavern keepers that provided pipes, he writes, had metal racks in which they baked used pipes to sanitize them for customers.

Apparently, pipes were very inexpensive in colonial America and affordable by most all. They were disposable as cigarettes are today.

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
also in Hume, Artifacts of Colonial America on page 10 they write about black clay they used for pipes, to figure the ages of the pipe , remember the bigger the hole the older the pipe, I love digging these, very hard to find whole, if I find stems anywhere, I start sifting [;)]

Fc90150.jpg

Attachments

• Fc90150.jpg
    Fc90150.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 58

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
wanted to post this from the book, but found it on the web http://nautarch.tamu.edu/class/313/pipes/pipes.jpg

Andyf

Reaction score
Yes, I'm not convinced by the "breaking stem" idea. In the U.K. pipes were one-use disposable, and made in vast quantities.

You guys may be interested in the link below, which is a pipe museum in England..

http://www.broseleypipes.co.uk/

Broseley was the largest manufacturing area, and we often find the name "Southorn, Broseley" stamped on pipe stems.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem