Piso's Remedy for Catarrh with label

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

idigjars

Reaction score
Hi All.

I got this Piso Remedy the other day from ebay. I had one Piso Remedy for Catarrh before this one but the other is more aqua and this one is kind of a coke bottle green color.

They are a pretty tough bottle to find.

And since this one has a label it just makes it that much sweeter.

I am sharing pics of my new bottle and also some of the rest of my Piso collection. I hope you enjoy seeing some of the rest of my Piso Bottles and go-withs.

Good luck to all finding and digging items for your collections. Best regards. Paul

pisoremedy.jpg

pisoremedy1.jpg

pisoremedylabel.jpg

Here is the box these bottles were shipped in

pisoremedybox.jpg

And the rest of my collection of Piso bottles

piso.jpg

piso1.jpg

piso2.jpg

piso3.jpg

piso4.jpg

piso5.jpg

piso6.jpg

piso7.jpg

pisocobaltlabel2.jpg

Backward Z example with L&W on the base (thanks Chris)

pisobackz.jpg

pisobackzbase.jpg

Cox's Cure was a Piso wannabe, I think this bottle resulted in a lawsuit I have read about but the company is never named. The bottle looks just like a Piso bottle and is embossed "For Consumption" on the front also. Cox's Cure on the side panel. One is clear the other is aqua.

coxscure.jpg

Piso Paperweight. It has the same embossing as the front panel of the old bottles have.

pisopaperweight.jpg

A piece of glass that was used as a mold warmer. Wonder why they didn't just throw it back in the batch and make more bottles out of it? I'm glad they didn't :)

pisoslag.jpg

I have the complete set of Piso Dominoes. One one side is the advertising and the other side is a regular type dominoe tile.

pisodomino2.jpg

Piso game board for something called Twelve Men Morrice. All of the fronts are made of birdseye maple veneer.

pisogame.jpg

piso8.jpg

Some tradecards and envelopes

pisopaper.jpg

Two different puzzles, one of the US and one of Europe. The European puzzle was the hardest to find. One one side are the States and Countries and on the other side they're marked Piso's Cure for Consumption 25cents a bottle.

pisopuzzle.jpg

Piso gave away calendars that contained other helpful information. They produced these from 1879 until 1919. This is the complete set.

pisobooklets.jpg

The first two are the hardest to find.

pisobooklets2.jpg

This is a framed wall sign I have with Piso advertising on it.

pisosign.jpg

pisosign1.jpg

pisosign2.jpg

pisosign3.jpg

Thank you for viewing and I hope you enjoyed seeing my collection. Best regards!

idigjars

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the nice comments.

Matt, here is some information I have on the Piso Company.

I have never seen an OP example but have different versions of hinge mould examples.

I've include a few more pics at the end of the story. Hope you all enjoy and good luck to all finding and digging nice items for your collection.

Paul

I have read different accounts of the history of the Piso Company.

I like this version the best since it was given to me by a great, great, great Granddaughter of one of the founders.

The total length of the account was typewritten and is 7 pages long. It is very interesting. Here is a quick synopsis of the info.

The Piso Company was established in Warren, PA in 1864, under the name Hazeltine & Co. to manufacture and market Piso’s cure for consumption(tuberculosis). The forumla of which was taken by Dr M.C. Talbott, a well known physician of the town. Partners in the enterprise, besides Dr Talbott were Dr Henry Gerould of Massillon, Ohio and E.T. Hazeltine proprietor of a local drug and fancy goods store called Variety hall and located in Johnson’s exchange.

Soon Piso’s cure was being advertised in a number of newspapers and magazines.

If you opened an issue of the December 7, 1867 issue of Harper’s Weekly to page 5 you could hardly have overlooked the following advertisement:

Piso’s Cure for Consumption
Is a reliable and
Safe remedy for
Coughs, and
All
Throat
And lung dif-
Ficulties.
Satisfaction Guaranteed.

Annual profits seldom exceeded $10,000 until about 1886 when results were sufficiently favorable to justify erection of a new building on the same site.

Real prosperity came in 1889 when earnings reached $71,483 and held slightly above or below that figure for the next four years.

In 1894 the firm of E.T. Hazeltine was incorporated as The Piso Company under the laws of the state of Pennsylvania.

You can find the bottles that have that embossing on the front panel instead of "For Consumption" embossing and still have the words "Piso’s Cure" on the side panel. This would have been the second version of their medicine bottle.

In 1906 Harvey W. Wiley, Chief of the Bureau of Chemisty in the US Department of Agriculture went on a crusade against patent medicines.

This crusade culminated with the passage of the Pure Food & Drug act which necessitated a change to the name of the medicine to Piso’s Remedy for coughs and colds.

The formula for the medicine also changed.

The last page of the letter states that the Piso company was still selling product in 1963.

Here is an original letter dated 1871.

pisoletter.jpg

Here is a pic of a 1920's display

pisodisplay.jpg

Here is a pic of women at the Piso factory stuffing letters with the Piso calendar booklets sometime in the early 1900's.

pisowomen.jpg

This is an original watercolor advertising Piso

pisowatercolor.jpg

This is a copy of a letter written by Norman Rockwell about his Piso painting ad.

pisorockwell.jpg

idigjars

Reaction score
sorry those are so big. Just a few more.

Original rockwell advertising. This is the front

pisoorigrockwell.jpg

The back stamp on this piece

pisoorigrockwellback.jpg

A rare Piso Tradecard

pisotradecard.jpg

This is a pic of a rare metal sign I had an opportunity to buy about 1997 and didn't. Hindsight is always 20/20.

pisometalsign.jpg

annie44

Reaction score
Very impressive collection - thanks for sharing the photos. I wish I could focus on one category as well as you have with those!

glass man

Reaction score
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING A WONDERFUL COLLECTION AND THE GREAT KNOWLEDGE! JAMIE

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Beautiful collection!,....I've always had a warm spot for Piso's bottles as well, even though I've only a few...We dig them here quite frequently, probably due to being very close by Warren Pa. (next town over) ...we're near Bradford Pa...anyhow, they come in alot of interesting varients of color, age and embossing,...I'll keep my eye open for any 'go withs' for Piso's...keep up the beautiful collection. Joe

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn