PLEASE ANSWER MY POST!!! ~Newbie Needs A Few Answers~

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

little

Reaction score
Hey all! Here's the deal...I just started last week. I went to this place my husband suggested where from partying as a teen he knew there were bottles there I could use to put my homemade perfumes in. Well, we found out you DONT put ANYTHING in them later that night before I touched them, because one bottle was a perfume atomizer in worn condition and I got curious and looked it up, then ran into the knowledge that ALL the bottles were antiques and worth atleast something and not to mess with them and basically, that I found my a new hobby (instead of bottles for my perfume), lol. Anyways...

The location has litterally hundreds of bottles. From all categories; medecine, minerals, food, liquer, soda, etc..etc...and all categories contain bottles of all sizes; small, medium, large...And big jugs of clear and amber color. We have only just scratched the surface and already have over a hundred bottles. Tiny wee little ones to a couple inches to medium to tall. The atomizer I mentioned before was unexpected and is a devilbiss tha tI have searched litterally hours for and cannot find that one anywhere, but the paint is worn on it. There are clear, blue, aqua, brown-amber, and green bottles in all categories, and some old broken pottery as well as a few metal things like a 12" metal pourer of some kind, a thermometer (circle) and hundreds of doorknobs. Some of the alcohol bottles are prohibition era and some I have absolutely no idea. some are only embossed on the bottom with symbols and no other markings or labels or nothing. I dont know what they are or how to find out. We also found old B&M Baked Beans amber jugs, amber clorox jugs, moonlight bleach jugs with sun and rays on front (large jug). I just know that there are three spots so far all three about eight feet wide, over a large land space, and as your walking, you can tell the chicken wire and ground beneath you is covered in chicken wire and the whole land is filled and there are atleast a few hundred more if not upwards of a thousand. But I dont know of worth anything since nothing but symbol on bottom of some, others very pretty and some obvious (such as Lestoil and a green turpentine bottle and JR Watkins 4 1/2 in. square medecine bottle).

So my questions are:

1. Is this a typical amount of bottles to be found at a dig site? Or does it sound like I got really lucky and found a gold mine by chance for my first dig? I know I'll be a LONG time emptying the grounds. Probly months. What is the typical amount of a dump or area that one finds when lucky enough to find a location with bottles to dig?

2. How do I find out what the markings are on my bottles when there's no other anything at all on the bottle? No name etc.

3. Is there a site that directly tells you what you have without having to google everything a thousand times only to get close or a "maybe that's it" answer.

4. Any free appraisal sites?

5. No one will probly tell me, I know if I knew any I probly wouldnt, but Anyone know of any digging sites in cumberland/york/oxford county my husband and I could check out?

6. My husband thinks I am overegzaterating(sp?) the money in this. Isnt that funny for a husband who dont want me to have to get a regular job, lol. I said to him as I was grabbing a bottle off the ground, "If you saw a twenty dollar bill on the ground would u just walk right on by it or would u take 2 secs to pick it up? He didnt say anything much. I think he was still stewing over me saying earlier "I just made in an hour your whole weeks wages if what the internet said is right, lmao. Really one shouldnt say that to a very hardworking husband but he was being annoying, lol...Anyhow, am I overestimating the money we mightve found, if only there at that location?

7. From what I've already said...How much are those bottles I mentioned worth?, if u the reader, know or have an average, Please.

8. And finally....ANY INFO ON THAT DEVILBISS PERFUME ATOMIZER? It's in NO way in the beautiful condition of other amazing things I've seen on antique perfume bottle sites (such as auntjudysattic, etc...) but it is that same company, is pinted blue with six sides and gold cross hatching in a see through strip across the middle. It's all in tact but has a crack from temp change ( I didnt know better till yesterday [:mad:]) and has a slight crack in brass part where bag would attach and paint is worn, but glass is in tact together, and all brass is too. I think its beautiful. BUT I CANT FIND A PICTURE OF IT ANYWHERE!... HELP!!!! [;)]...

Thankyou all who read all this and can provide some desperately wanted help and advice! I am terribly sorry it is so long, but for a first post I wanted to get it all out there at once, show some charecter, and BEG for answers and then the rest of my posts qill be normal. THANKYOU!

I am ABSOLUTELY the most excited about this new found hobby I ever could be about one!!!!

You may IM me at LittleAquarianWoman on yahoo.

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Hello, and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you found yourself a great digging spot. If you could post some pictures of the bottles I could try and id some of them and give you some values. There are plenty of people here who are more knowledgeable than myself but I will do what I can.

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
One more thing... how did you get your picture below your screen name?

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Brooke, Welcome to the forum. Congrats on catching the bottle bug.

You will find bottles that are common and worthless and bottles that are rare and big $$$ and everything in between. Collect what you like and have fun learning.

If you wish to sell it should be embossed {raised lettering} or ACL {applied color label} and in as near as perfict condition as possible. Most bottles after about 1920 don't have alot of value but many are concidered collectable and some are very rare and valuable. It takes time, patients and study to learn which is which.

As far as dumps, they come in all sizes from a few bottles in a pile to acres of refuge but I'd say yes you got very lucky.LoL

Here is a link to a bottle site the Bureau of Land Management {BLM} has that will help with alot of your questions. It is alot to read but well worth it.

For value check Ebay and there many books you can get at book stores or Amazon,com.

http://www.blm.gov/historic_bottles/index.htm

Romanz

Reaction score
Hello Brooke,

You know the old saying " A picture is worth a thousand words"

Eddie

little

Reaction score
thanks for the responses so far, guys. As for the pics, I want to but downloading my webcam driver on this dial up takes five to seven hours. Pathetic! I'll try to find some pics online of the bottles I found and post them instead. Maybe that'll help?

bottlediger

Reaction score
5. No one will probly tell me, I know if I knew any I probly wouldnt, but Anyone know of any digging sites in cumberland/york/oxford county my husband and I could check out?

Where are you located, I live in York and cumberland county. If you ever wnat to get togeather and do a dig let me know

little

Reaction score
Hi bottlediger. I live on york/oxford county lines. Do u think the libraries around here have maps that'ld show where old farm houses and dumps used to be? I checked steep falls but they dont even have an atique book in the whole place according to the librarian. Goin on a dig sounds cool. Maybe all 3 (my husband and I) of us. How long have u been digging? Know any cool location possibilities around here? Not to take yours, but ones that might be possibilities for these counties?

bottlediger

Reaction score
You could try libraires to find where the old houses were, however they wont tell you where the farms dumps were located. thats something you'll have to scott out. I have been digging half my life (12 years) found some pretty nice things over those twelve years. My fav. stuff is the local stuff from York however. The only places I know of around here right now are a large town dump from the 20s and a bunch of small farm dump I have already dug out. I am going to start to dig priveys soon to get some old stuff. well take care

ryan

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4