PLEASE ANSWER MY POST!!! ~Newbie Needs A Few Answers~

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

little

Reaction score
Went to Limington Library today. Took out the two books they have on bottle identification. Didnt really expect they'ld have any so was hyper over that, lol. I know I sound excited, but hey...I just began this awesome hobby. Kinda makes me wonder why the whole world isn't doing this!?!?!...Oh I know, cause they're crazy. Haha! Have to be not to be doing it!

Also...Got four other books on old farm locations, and old history of where and what in the area used to be from 1800's to mid 1900's. Not just farms but old doctor's offices, pharmacies, stores (for soda and foods) and old fashioned hardware stores.

And one book on furniture antiques for the other stuff I'm finding such as doorknobs and lamp parts etc.

I feel like I struck gold on my first gold mine, lol!
U kinda have to feel that way when on your very first time that began by accident you have about fifty doorknobs in a huge pile and find out each one is worth around 45 at the least.

U know, I always prayed to win the lottery, but God works in mysterious ways!
I just hope I'm right on the dollar signs I see from this place. I'll just remember I could be wrong, cause I know how all that works when you assume too much!
(Not that I think I am, lol)... [sm=tongue.gif]

welddigger

Reaction score
hey! little don't get to excited about book values. they are not always right on the money . the best way to find value is to check this sight or e-bay or ask around at a show or just get involved with a local club.but weolcome to the hobby and keep the question coming.i am also from pa. and there are still some nice bottles out there so keep digging and post the pics and remember it's only worth what somebody will pay for it!!!

Bottleman

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Brooke! You defiantly found the right place to come for anything you need to know about bottles. These guys (and a few ladies) are the best there are when it comes to bottles. My advice to you is if you want to find quality bottles is to dig down deep at that dump you found. That is where all the good bottles are. Just remember too that the deeper you go, the older the bottles are. It looks like you have the bottle bug now too!

BRYAN>>
To get the small picture below your name you have to go to the top of the page and click on “My Setup†and scroll down to “My Avatarâ€. Check the box for “Upload My Picture†and make sure the pic you choose is 145x145 or it would go through. I just figured this out tonight.

Hope this helps, Tom

little

Reaction score
Thanks Tom! Actually I'm from York County, Maine though. :O). Even that advice about all the good bottles being way down deep. I didnt know that. See I need to know this stuff, lol. Keep any info coming please.

lexdigger

Reaction score
The only way we can really help you with your bottles is if you post a pic of them. I will tell you one thing though, don't get too excited just yet! From my experiences you will have to do Alot of digging to get any bottles that are rare or valuable. For the most part 90% of what we dig is common and has little to no value. The books are giving you non dug mint condition prices. Any damage at all, especially chips and cracks, pretty much kills a bottle. Most of your unembossed or plain bottles won't bring much either. The writing on the bottom is the glass makers mark. If it doesn't have some kind of words on the sides of the bottle, it usually isn't worth much. If you can post some pics, we could help you out alot more. Just don't go quitting any jobs or making any big purchases thinking you're gonna get rich off old bottles!!! We do this for the thrill of the find and the love for history. If you're in it for the money, you might want to reconsider. You'll spend more on gas, digging tools, supplies, drinks, etc. than what your bottles will bring on most days. Let's see some pics! Chris Capley Lex. KY.

little

Reaction score
hey lex r u a capricorn by chance? lol. ty for the advice.

lexdigger

Reaction score
No little, I'm a Leo. I didn't mean to discourage you at all. There are still some great finds to be dug out there! It takes persistance, research, and alot of work but you will eventually find some that are valuable. The only problem, for me anyways, is that those will be the ones you want to hold on to! LOL I just gave away six or eight boxes full of common bottles that I couldn't sell. I actually offered them to several people before someone finally came and hauled them off for me. Good luck out there and be carefull. Digging bottles is fun, but can be dangerous as well. Chris Capley

little

Reaction score
Anyways....Not a drop of discouragement. Nope. I have found tons of lots awaiting my arrival around here. As for danger, my husband and I dig together, and trust me anyone we'd run into... I highly doubt would mess with him. He's quite well built. Gotta love my carpenter and his big muscles. Anyhow...Here's a pic for all to see of the Devilbiss atomizer I spoke of above. If anyone has any knowledge of value with a crack and worn paint let me know.

Oh lex, I am infatuated with the history of these things. I do not have a regular job to be quitting, It is not an issue. Basically all those things u said I am aware of and I'm pretty sure I already felt that way towards the hobby, but I do appreciate the caring. For me, I am in it for the same reasons and just love it more if brings a buck or two or some day a thousand. Anyhow, thanks for all those things you said.Im ok though thanks. Any knowledge on the atomizer here since u seem to be knowledgeful of your stuff? That would be helpful.[:)]

little

Reaction score
devilbiss atomizer

Attachments

• CAE87568811C42E5A02C28393E1C5599.jpg
    CAE87568811C42E5A02C28393E1C5599.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 74

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads